1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

lowering my bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by codydang, Nov 16, 2012.

1. codydang

codydang

I want to lower my bridge pickup on my ibanez sr250 so that I can 'dig in' more with my fingers. I read somewhere this will reduce the treble or volume a bit.

Will the difference be substantial if I lower the bridge pickup height to, say, about the same as the neck pickup height?

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Why not try it, and see?

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It costs you only 30 seconds to twiddle a couple of screws...and it's easily reversible. Why not play with it??

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

what you'll likely get is a bridge pickup that's now weaker than the neck pickup.

if you're gonna drop one, drop 'em both to where they still have about the same volume as each other (which you'll test with an amp).

also, it usually isn't the bridge pickup that gets in the way of string movement anyway, but the neck pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It won't affect tone much. It's hard to get the strings to hit the bridge pickup because of the tension being so high near the bridge. So you won't have to lower it very much.