"LR-1" First Bass Build!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by basshoundx, Jan 30, 2014.

?

What color should I paint the bass?

1. Crimson

15.0%
  2. Jade Green

55.0%
  3. Navy Blue

15.0%
  4. Orange

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    WARNING: Liable to be weeaboo
    So awhile ago I posted a thread about a hybrid bass, and after deciding to abandon that project due to lack of experience and complexity I've decided to start a new build, something less radical.

I've named it "LR-1" for now, until a better name comes to me. Attached is a first rough draft sketch of it. I'll post another sketch with better dimensions and correct details later, but this was mainly to get the design of the body out.

any criticism or feedback is welcomed.

http://imgur.com/Vn7Kk2b
  2. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

[​IMG]

It's got some nice lines, but the body seems a bit "boxy" to me. Perhaps try elongating/narrowing the shape somewhat. Looks like a cool project though.
  3. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

I like it, but I think the upper horn might jab into your ribs a lot.
  4. Beej

Beej

Cool design. :) My only feedback is that this design looks better suited to a guitar than a bass. This is due to the 12th fret being away from the upper horn, and the location of the bridge relative to the end of the body. The closer the bridge to the end of the body, the more it puts your bass to the right (on a right handed bass). this makes it easier to reach...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the feedback so far!

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that horn right there, so I think I'll trim it down.

I know there isn't a set in stone dimension, but what would you say the "Rough Standard" for a bass is? Specifically, the dimensions for a normal P Bass, which is what the pickups and neck are going to be from. I'll attach the link to the specific neck and pickups I'll be putting in the build.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Bass-Satin-Sealed-Vintage-Style-Neck-_p_2004.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/REDactive-P-Bass-Active-pickup-black-Case-_p_6697.html
  7. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    So I've scrapped the original design, and went with a more rounded design that suits my taste. I've made a cardboard template for the body, so I had something tangible to mess around with.

[​IMG]
  8. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    I've completed a model of the bass in solidworks, and so far so good. The components are being ordered soon, and I've decided to build it out of bass wood. All hardware, and the neck, are coming from Guitar Fetish, to keep the cost down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. M0ses

M0ses

Wow I loved the original design so much more! If you're throwing the idea away I'll have to steal it from you.
  10. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    So I've finally got all the stuff to start building the bass. Here's a picture of it all. The body is made of basswood, and the neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard. It's got GFS P-bass style REDActive pickups, and wilkinson Tuners, which were a little to big, so I'm going to have to grind the base plates down a bit.

[​IMG]
  11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

My main thought is that if you don't get the top horn out a lot closer to the 12th fret, you are going to have some serious neck dive issues.

My second thought is that the closer you put the bridge to the bottom (in your picture) of the body, the closer the top horn will be to the 12th fret.

You might be able to get there by just moving the bridge and neck pocket down as far as you can, and then just shape the area between the top horn and the neck pocket. Any maybe a little bit of reshaping on the bottom side of the neck pocket, too.
  12. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    Is neck dive really so important that dude should redesign his bass at this stage?
  13. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

A fellow imgur browser!
    The second design is much better. I would make the lower horn a bit more pointy and slightly less bulbous.
  14. StuartV

basshoundx is the only one who can decide how important neck dive is. But, if it is important to him, then when SHOULD he redesign? After he cuts the body out of a wood blank?
  15. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    You make an excellent point.
  16. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention, but I'd rather not redesign this as I'm happy with the design, plus this is a "school Project" so I'm kinda on a deadline to have it cut before spring break. I thought about a larger horn, but it just doesn't feel right to me. If neck dive is a problem, I'll just put the neck strap buttons in a different spot than the top of the horn, but I doubt I'll have that problem, as that blank and bridge are friggin heavy.
  17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Just use light weight tuners and you should be ok as far as neck dive goes.

This bass has a very light weight alder body. With Hipshot Ultralites and a small Tele style headstock it has no neck dive at all.
    [​IMG]
    basshoundx likes this.
  18. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
  19. StuartV

Those look like Peavey T-45 pickups. Everybody knows those things weigh 5 pounds each. They are what's holding the back of that one down. ;) :D
  20. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

:D

Yep T40 pickups are pretty heavy, but that bass weighs in at about 8 pounds.
  21. StuartV

Nice! Chambered body, filled with Helium? ;)