1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI for Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by q5bass, Nov 3, 2012.

1. q5bass

q5bass Supporting Member

I have a LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI that sounds great with my acoustic guitar. I've been playing bass more for the last couple of years and lugging my combo amp back and forth. I'm thinking about using the PADI for bass and going direct to the board at church.

I'm going to try it out next week before rehearsal, but I thought I would check if anyone has used it with bass. Has anyone had experience (good or bad) using one of these with electric bass?
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it should work fine, but the whole idea of the para DI is to be utterly transparent; as such, you'll have no compression or "fattening", it'll just be your dry bass sound straight in.

even the EQ is mostly about super-narrow notch filters to kill acoustic feedback without changing the tone that much; as such, there won't be a lot of tone-shaping from it.

finally, the super-high input impedance (made for piezo acoustic pickups) might make the bass sound brittle.

(try it of course since you already have it.)
  3. tigerbass

tigerbass Supporting Member

I have one and I think it works great on bass.
  4. q5bass

q5bass Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll give a shot and see what it sounds like.
  5. q5bass

q5bass Supporting Member

I just finished playing all weekend with the para acoustic DI. I really liked the sound...and better yet, so did the sound guy. To me, the notes sound more defined than when I use my combo amp (Hartke 3500 MOSFET with a 2115 speaker). It sounds similar to what I get when I plug my bass directly into a PC with no effects. It helps that I really like the sound of my bass (Modulus Q5 with Barts). If I I wanted to fatten up or change the sound of my bass, I don't think I would like to PADI as much.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Hartke, but I also love the fact that I don't have to lug my amp with me if I don't want to.