Ltd B206sm questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JakeR04, Dec 3, 2013.

1. JakeR04

JakeR04

Hello all, this will be my first thread on talkbass. I was hoping someone could shed some light on the ltd b206sm. I would like to stain mine, but I'm not sure what kind of finish is on it now. ESP claims that it is spalted, natural finish maple, but it feels like a laminate of some sort (I'm really hoping it isn't). I could be wrong though. Also, has anybody fiddled with the truss rods on one yet? This South Texas climate is very cruel, and I'm feeling some fret buzz somewhere between the first and fifth frets. I would like to know what I'd be getting into if I tried adjusting them myself.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

I have adjusted the truss rod on my ESP LTD D-5 bass. Clockwise tightens, Counter Clockwise loosens (puts forward bow in neck). Turn it 1/4 turn counter clockwise and see if that helps. If it needs some more then do another 1/4 turn. Let the neck settle for a few hours in between adjustments. The ESP truss rod is pretty easy to turn. Note before tightening (turning clockwise) loosen the strings to take tension off the neck, tighten in 1/4 turns and retune the strings. Repeat if necessary.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

IIUC these models have a satin clear coat finish... You'd have to remove it in order to refinish it. Not sure what the best way would be. You might try posting this question in the Luthiers Corner.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/

4. JakeR04

JakeR04

Thanks for the advice! As for the finish, I can just start with 3M 600 grit wet or dry paper. I've done it on several acoustic guitars in the past and it works nicely. I had never handled a finish like this one before though, so I wasn't too sure what it was.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

We want photos after sanding, and before stain is applied! This should be interesting...

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes. I'm no expert but as I understant it spalted maple is a a kind of diseased wood that is sliced into veneers. But to improve machinability it is sometimes soaked in a kind of plastic so it's hard to tell what staining might do to it. For this reason I'd say sanding rather than any attempt at chemicial finish removers would be best. And who knows kind of staining effect this kind of wood might give? Yes, we'd like to see the results.

My B206SM just seems to have a satin poly coating on it. I don't know if it's catylized poly or not. The catylized finish is much tougher and harder to remove.