LTD basses any goood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToddinTX, Nov 4, 2013.

1. ToddinTX

ToddinTX

What's the take on LTD basses? Generally good or bad? Things to be concerned about?

There is a LTD B204 with EMG-HZ pickups for sale locally for $250 used. I liked the tone and it was set up well. The neck felt great. For the same price I could get a new Squire or perhaps an Ibanez.

I don't gig. I mostly play bass for my own recordings through a small bass amp.

Thanks.

Todd

2. punkrocko

punkrocko Supporting Member

I use to teach at a music store that carried LTD basses. They were very nice. The fretwork and finish is all top notch, especially at the price point. I thought the active electronics were just OK, but for a good looking nice playing bass you can’t go wrong.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

IME they're fantastic basses. I have a B205SM fretless that absolutely sings!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

I agree LTD's are very good bang for the buck. I have heard some very nice ones.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I just bought one for use as a "beater". But it's WAY better than that. The pickups REALLY shine. It's all I've been playing for 3 weeks now. Sweet neck and better than Squier IMO at the same price points.

7. rickwebb

rickwebb

They're an example of "Good For The Money"... Foreign made, little construction shortcuts here and there, etc... But solid overall.

8. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I didn't like the two B155's I had very much. They both looked good, and sounded fine, but I hated the "D" shaped neck, and didn't think the fretwork was very good at all. One had raw wood showing because the neck blank was too thin on one side, and the other had a bad short - sold both, and went back to Ibby SR ... I should have never strayed.

9. aproud1

aproud1 I don't feel tardy? Gold Supporting Member

Overall I've not really played many bad LTD basses. The hardware on my fretless is very good. Didn't care for the pickups though.

If you have played it and like it, get it.

10. Blue_Whistle88

Blue_Whistle88 Supporting Member

I've bought four, currently own two, and they've all been great. One of the ones I've got is a cheap one made in China and it's great. Only cost NZ$400 new and for the money it's incredible; near-flawless fretwork, great neck (though a little narrow for my tastes), and the electronics are actually quite good too. I had to get the volume pot changed because the shaft was brittle, and the tone pot is only adequate, but other than that the bass is flawless, which is incredible considering what I paid for it.

Two of the others were the Deluxe B-series, made in Korea, which were/are fantastic (I still have one of them). Some of the best quality I've ever seen on a bass, let alone ones costing what they did. LTD mightn't be a particularly pretigious name, but their quality is some of the best out there, and they actually have a fairly distincive sound (if they have EMGs in them). I say go for it.

11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

The B-204 in my lineup is a B-204FM equipped with ESP pickups-made in Korea (2002). There's many tonal options on this bass, and that's important!

To the OP, you are in the ballpark on price. If this one makes it home with you, let me know how you like it, and what year it was made. I'm fuzzy on what years were equipped with the EMG-HZ pups.

12. ToddinTX

ToddinTX

Thanks guys. I might just have to go snag it before somebody else does!

Todd

13. rafitoprtx

rafitoprtx

Mine is awesome! Is easy to play and the paint is really good. The only thing that I will change is the pickups. The bass dont need it, I just want emg.

14. pica

pica

I was just on their website. They have some nice looking basses.

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

LTD basses are pretty decent. I personally like the b-155dx. it's got a pretty cool blue color and it got a pretty cool sound too. if you're thinking about getting ltd bass, try one out and see if it's the right bass for you.

16. ToddinTX

ToddinTX

Thanks for the great responses guys. I am now devating between this bass and a new SX bass from Rondo. I'm just not sure...

17. ToddinTX

ToddinTX

Well, I ended up ordering a Douglas bass from Rondo for $150 shipped. If I need to, with the extra $100 I can upgrade some stuff. Hopefully, I'll get a good one. They sure srem nice. Nice looking paint, active pickups, etc.

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Good luck. I'll never order from Rondo again after getting a guitar with a cracked neck. They refunded my money but I'll never take a chance on them again.

19. ToddinTX

ToddinTX

Yeah, from my reading they seem to have about a 75% success rate. I'm certainly taking chances. But, their return policy is pretty good. So, it's more of a loss of time than anything. Keeping my fingers crossed.

20. icecycle66

icecycle66

LTD basses are fantastic.
    I love the EMG-HZ line of pickups.

That's a very good bass for a pretty good price.

(Insert all the praise and adoration adjectives you want, that's how I feel about ESP Ltd basses and guitars.)

21. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump Supporting Member

I've never really sat down with any myself but I went to a gig a few weeks ago and the bass player from the opening act had an LTD vintage PJ. Holy smokes that thing had tone. I was really impressed.