LTD ESP Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rolfskylark, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Rolfskylark

Rolfskylark

I dropped into a music store today and found out how fantastic LTD basses sound.
    Does anyone own an LTD bass that can tell me if it is a good buy.

Thanks

2. Shanebo

Shanebo

I bought a B-335 about 1.5 years ago.

It has been an excellent bass for me, and the price was about half of what I'd be willing to pay to replace it, if that is a measure of value that makes sense.

[​IMG]

All the best,

Shane

3. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

I'm tempted by the cheap 4 string fretless P/J as a backup fretless as it has a rosewood board and I am not sure the ebonol board on the Squier VM fretless I have is really working for me. (My main fretless is a rosewood board). I though ebonol would work as a backup, but also a different tonal palette, but it's never really felt totally comfortable.

4. Wallace320

Wallace320

Fit and finish, and overall perceived quality, stayed consistent.
    I found a lack of personality. Not in terms of mere design. Surveyor (nearly a Precision plus) Phoenix (almost a Thunderbird) and Bello signature (a black satin Precision with additional J style bridge pickup) were all of course chosen by their familiarity with what I physiologically know and love, still I sure was lookin' for the different combination - from the originals - of pickup configuration and electronic they deliver.

I mean: they were on par - if not better - with their benchmarks, either it be a Thunderbird or a Precision, for both their design and even more so for their materials, but felt somehow unaccomplished (neither fish nor meat) down to sonic peculiarities

ah: forgot to mention B/D/F series just because of their headstock

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Locky66

Locky66

I have been gigging with my LTD B254 curly maple top for the past 8 years and only had to replace one tuner. I play fenders 9050 flatwounds on it and it sounds great. Very nice quality for little money.

7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    i have the ltd vintage 204. the original p'ups were not my thing, but the dimarzio's improved volume from string to string. it is built like a tank. more impressive to me than the MIM fenders. better tone too. got it new for $178, all additions kept it under $300. i can't bring myself to sell it. it's a rock star!

[​IMG]

8. Bobster

Bobster

I bought a B-1005 and have been so impressed with it that I've branched out, buying a Surveyor-4 and B-4Z. I'm very happy with them all and each has it's own sound for sure.
    In terms of modding them, I have put Hipshot ultralights on both the Surveyor and B-4Z (the B-1005 came with them) and a quick release bridge on the Surveyor (Hipshot Vintage 4).

Each has been very well made (neck-through, ebony fretboards and 5-piece necks on the B-1005 and B-4Z) (swamp ash body w/2-piece maple neck on the Surveyor) and will dial down to low action.

The Surveyor and B-1005 came with EMGs, no need to change anything there. And the B-4Z's Ltd Designed pickups are very nice as well. No changes planned there.

They have replaced my other basses and are as well-manufactured as their Korean, and Indonesian competitors.

Great gear, great price. However, the resale sucks. So plan on keeping them forever.

Not an issue for me at all.

Bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Staccato likes this.
  9. banks

banks

I have 3 ESP LTD basses. They play great, record well and sound great. Construction is good. I have the B-206SM, The B204 fretless and the Vintage 204. I did put Rotosound strings on them.

10. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I wanted to try fretless, so picked up this LTD because it was 420 Cdn, so wouldn't cost too much if I didn't like fretless. It played great right out of the box, and when it came time for me to set up all my basses a few months later required less set up than my other 6 including a new Fender P that I had just purchased (which required the most). Probably one of the best bangs for you buck out there.

Attached Files:

11. robertusf

robertusf Supporting Member

I was just in GC yesterday and played a LTD spalted maple 6er. Played really nice. Didn't have time to fire it up loud to see how it sounded. Not bad for 499. Did seem heavy though

GASSING for a 6er again.........

12. Rolfskylark

Rolfskylark

Thanks,
    I am thinking about buying the VINTAGE-214 ASH ROSEWOOD NAT.
    Tried it out yesterday and cannot stop thinking about it.
    Great Ash sound, love the pop it gave when I was playing slap.

13. richntiff

richntiff

My main gigging bass is a LTD B204-BM. It is really a nice instrument - not even considering the price. Consider the price and it is the best buy on the market. I have had several other guys play it and they have nothing but praise too.

Staccato likes this.
  14. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

I bought my first because it was cheap, and I didn't know if I could play fretless. Liked it so much, I bought another, and now I don't play anything else. I don't know of a better value.

15. Yok

Yok

I have a c-305 bass I got on gumtree that had been 'modded' following an accident where the wood over the control cavity had been caved in.
    Someone slapped a horrid looking, hastly made scratch plate on it and added simple electronics and shite passive humbuckers which do nothing for it's tone.

But damn it feels good!

I plan to find something to replace the now non-existent control area and reloading ti with EMGs like it needs...

16. Enden

Enden Supporting Member

I played that bass for years. It was like 7 or 800 bucks when I got it! like a year later it was half that

great bass

17. astrobass63

astrobass63

I just picked this up today, love it!!!:hyper:

[​IMG]

18. Princedead

Princedead

I've got this one. It's my first bass. Still sounds great ! @Blue Dream00.jpg

19. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

Our guit player has a few LTD guitars, that I like, but I did not realize that they made basses. Would be willing to try one if they are at any local stores

20. El Spearo

El Spearo

I've got the B206 SM, swapped the electronics for an Aguilar obp3 and it sounds killer. Plenty of tones.
    Last week I picked up a BM205 fretless that I ordered and I am really happy with it. Spalted and flamed maple top! I'll post pics when I get home

21. vmabus

vmabus Supporting Member

YES!!