Luminlay marker dots?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Force, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Force

Force

So, I'm in a metal band and we play live on a regular basis. Pretty much every gig, the stage is very dark at times and I just can't see what fret I'm on at all and it's very frustrating, hitting the wrong notes etc.

Anyway, I've been reccomended these luminlays to be able to see where I am, and I was just wondering what are your guys' thoughts on these? I really don't like LED lights all over basses already, and I am worried these will look really tacky and everyone in the crowd will notice them. Are they discreet? Any other suggestions besides luminlays?
  2. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

I've used reflective stickers (sold for mail boxes) and a handheld hole punch. End result: Large dots, good visibility, minimal cost.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

You could put dots of white glue over the side dots so that you can feel them with your thumb to make sure you're in the right spot. I do that on my fretless basses.
  4. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

I use Glowdotz on my Bongo basses and they work great.
  5. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

I think the Luminlay looks cool, wayyyyy cooler than LEDs, and wouldn't mind if the audience noticed the glowing dots, but I wouldn't want them distracted by LEDs.

You could also buy glow in the dark modeler's paint, that way you'd have both the visual and tactile sensations.

Lastly, my main suggestion...

*Practice at home with your eyes closed.*

I'm sure it will benefit you, and I'm not suggesting it to replace the Luminlays or other tactile or visual aids you may choose to use. Every little bit helps.
  6. RSBBass

RSBBass

I guess I am in a snotty mood, but how about practicing so you know where you are without looking?
  7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
  8. Force

Force

Thanks for the replies.

Just bought some glowdotz so I will see what these are like.

Bitterdale - What is the hole punch for?