LUSTING AFTER AN EPIPHONE EB-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChessTiger, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ChessTiger

ChessTiger

Greetings fellow bass players. I'm a new four string player. I promised myself that after I get five or six songs under my belt; I'd purchase myself a second bass. Well, with lots of hard work I'm slowly working my way towards that goal.:hyper:

I've started looking and the one bass that has caught my eye (that is within my price range) is the Epiphone EB-3; my preferred color is black. I just wanted members to opine about this machine (how it plays, looks, hardware etc..).

Thanks in advance for your help on reviewing this "monster machine" for me.

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I briefly owned one. The tone is nothing special and I didn't like the feel. Tons of neck dive from the huge headstock. It's sorta unique but I'd have just about any other bass in that price range.

3. bill reed

bill reed

Really good bass, have a nice deep bass sound, the bridge pick-up a bit weak but its like that on the Gibson too.
    its a really nice bass with a thin neck, it does have neck dive so get a good 3" strap. Bridge can be a bit of a pain to set up but after that it good.

4. Wallace320

Wallace320

I must be a bit lazy at that, but I find the traditional 3 pivot Gibson/Epiphone bridge not that precise and certainly not easy
    to adjust.

I love the Gib/Epi sound but I own an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro only, mainly for the proficient electronics and the himass bridge (same reason for me to own an ESP/LTD Phoenix)

I consider the Fender WideRange neck humbucker to be the best neck pickup out there, but remember that my main man Billy Sheehan originally installed a Gibson humbucker on its
    "the Wife" Fender Precision project bass.

Furthermore, no Fender bass with stock neck humbucker(Modern Player Tele or Squier Vintage Modified Tele Precision) sounds better than the Epiphone EB3, and they're a bit pricier.

So, if you know someone to set it properly, and if you can find
    a pearly pickguard/blackglo exemplar (limited edition) I warmly suggest you this bass you desire You'll end up lovin' it I'm sure

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Me too.

It was cool, but tonally it did nothing for me. It was also weird playing a short scale when all of my other basses are 34" or 35"

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have both the short scale and long scale epi EB3. Both are a good value for the $ and have their own unique sound. Imho the neck dive of the 34" scale bass complained about is minimal. Mine are for sale as I just bought a Gibson SG bass. Both are white. Here is a pic. of the limited edition EB3 in white :)[​IMG] Here is the long scale note bridge position and trapezoid inlays[​IMG]

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The one he's talking about is long scale. The Epi EBO is short scale, as is the Gibson. The SG style body should be short scale, IMO.

9. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

The Epiphone EB3 is long scale. I had one years ago and always liked the look, the feel of the neck, and the neck-dive was easily dealt with by utilizing a wide strap, preferably one with some grip on the inside. My problem was the bridge. Ant attempt at adjustment or higher tension strings (as in flatwounds) resulted in the bridge pole pieces pulling out. I got rid of it then, though I have heard since this is an "easy" fix; the tonal variation was pretty much nonexistent, but others have said the bridge pickup should be raised slightly. It really is a gorgeous piece, but pretty much a one-trick pony.

10. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

Where would you find the short-scale Epi EB3? I would think there would be a lot of demand for it.

11. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    I bought mine at the House of Guitars in Rochester NY. I am pretty sure these were made for the European market but they were able to get one for me. It is a limited edition/custom shop version with nickle hardware(their description)

12. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

I would highly recommend you look at the Fender Telecaster bass (Modern Player Series). You can get it for $499 and it has 2 humbuckers, it goes deep and you can get lots of tones out of it as well! The EB-3, while not bad, is very one dimentional - but it goes deep as well.

13. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    I don't find EB3s one dimensional at all, Gibson or Epiphone. The the bridge and neck pup used in various combinations can give you anything from Dunnaway's eerie thump of Dead Babies to Frasier's clean burp on All Right Now to Jim Lea's snappy grind on Cum On Fell The Noize. Not a one trick pony imho.

14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The SS I had (Gibson SG Faded Bass) was pretty neck divey. I can only imagine the long scale would be worse.

15. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    The Gibson SG basses have the thin 1 1/4" bodies Epiphone have the thicker 1 1/2" inch bodies (Epi Elitist have the thin). Funny I own a worn finish Gibson SG bass and I didn't find it neck heavy at all.

16. dasbusking

dasbusking

Is the EB3 any good? it all depends on how you will use it . I have an Epi EB3 34" scale in the Red, After playing with the setup and pickup height for a while I got the tone dialed in and was quite satisfied. The tone is somewhat unique which could limit the versatility for you. The fit and finish is pretty good and I love the neck. That being said this is a good bass is great if you sit and play, because of the ergonomic issues I could not imagine playing a three hour gig with this bass. The neck dive is a real issue and it hangs funny on the strap buttons. Unless you are a pro left-handed arm wrestler play it for 20 minutes straight while standing and you find out she is a real handful. At a street price of around $299 she's a pretty good value.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I love the SG shaped body ... it is very pretty and iconic. But I am not a fan of the SG basses stock. I frankenstein SG 5 string 34" scale basses together for my enjoyment. I replace the 3 point bridge, I expetiment with different pickups (Rickenbacker pickups make good sounding neck pickups for these basses). I also add a straplok extender to kill neck dive. The basses are not cosmetically perfect, because they are Frankenstein basses. But they have a nice look and feel and they sound cool.

Some day I may build one starting with a Warmoth SG body.

Here's my latest project.

[​IMG]

And my completed SG basses ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The white SG basses are really pretty ...

19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    This is a tough call for many of us older guys.

You'd certainly like for us to tell you that this Epi is a great bass that will sonically thrill you and be great instrument, but, alas... this is not the truth.

It is a good instrument with some limitations and ergonomic issues you'll have to deal with. It looks cool, plays okay and is somewhat constricted in sounds.
    It may not be the bass that will serve you all your life, as you become the "musician you WANT to be" , but buying for your future self makes about as much sense as buying a bass and then worrying about modding or playing it because of the potential value for future owners.

That being said, you're young, buy whatever inspires you, whether it's looks or sound, and enjoy the heck out of it for right now.

20. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

AGAIN, this is so true. And I understand that money is tight but I promise you that instead of spending $299, you can spend $499 and get a much better bass.

More than twice as good. You really don't have to break the bank to get a good value bass - but I would suggest you start somewhere other than the Epi - you'll be much happier if you do.

21. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Consider Allen Woody ... he played Epiphone and Gibson EB basses and played with a pick ... and he was awesome ... He made the SG bass shine ...

The EB3 is not the best bass for many players, but it is an interesting instrument. It is old school. It shines best with some old school tubey overdrive. It is not a bass for slap.