1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Luthier in the Memphis, TN area?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Hi everyone, this is my first time to really post on this side of the bass forum.

I recently purchased an Engelhardt EC-1 from Fretwell Basses and during shipping the sound post was knocked loose. I want to take it to someone in my area who will correctly put the sound post in it's correct position.

Today I took it to my normal electric bass tech, he had put sound posts in violins in the past but never a DB. From the looks of it and what I've read on this forum it appears it is not installed exactly where it should be. The tone of the E and A strings seem quite dead compared to the D and G strings. This has been and unfortunate and frustrating introduction to upright bass for me. I'm really looking forward to learning the instrument but it's hard to do that when the sound of the instrument isn't so great.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would recommend me a luthier to take it to in the Memphis, TN area.............I'm willing to take it to the Nashville or Little Rock areas also but would love to find someone close to home. I called our local Amro Music store and the guy there quoted me $75-100 to set the post. Does that sound correct? It sounded a bit pricey to me.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

2. Eli_Upright12

Eli_Upright12

Thats way too much for a soundpost setting. I havent ever paid to have my soundpost moved, but I have a good relationship with my luthier I guess, but 100 seems really excessive.

3. Steve Killingsworth

Steve Killingsworth

Dustin Williams is in Nashville.

You might check with some of the bassists with the Mempis Symphony or someone on the faculty of the University of Memphis. One of them might be able to help you with something like this.

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I decided to take it out last night since I knew it wasn't right. After about an hour, searching for random tools, and a mirror with a string tied to it I finally got it back in where both the top and bottom have no gaps. The strings are much more even across the range now than before.

There is another store I just found in Memphis that deals with these types of instruments so i'm probably going to take it to them just to double check and make sure everything looks good on it.

Thanks for the replies!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Uprightboy

Uprightboy Burney

Contact Rich Wager. He's a great upright player. He works at Martin Music in East Memphis. He might be able to direct you to someone who can take care of it.
    _BurneyWarren