1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Luthier in Ventura

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RASHOSS, Mar 15, 2014.

1. RASHOSS

RASHOSS Supporting Member

Hello All,

Can anybody point me to a good luthier in the Ventura, CA area? I have a 2010 Fender American Jazz Deluxe, that appears to have a neck pickup that is bad. I don't have the technical know how to figure out what the problem is.

Thank you.

Edit: I went to the GC in Oxnard, and had a few guys take a look at it. I've got a strange situation on my hands...

2. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

Instrumental Music

I had one of my basses in for some fret work and a setup and the guy did great work. I've never had a bass play better. I can't locate his name right now. There are a couple other places there in Ventura, but I haven't used them; Guitar Planet, etc.

Ventura
    3171 E. Main St.
    Ventura, CA
    (805) 654-9388

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    I'm actually just up the road from you, in the little farming town of Fillmore. I moved my whole operation here a few months ago, and I haven't changed my Profile yet. I was in Burbank for 21 years.

I don't do general repairs like that any more, but I can connect you up with other Luthiers around this area.

I can recommend Keith Horne, who is down in Burbank. I work with him on a weekly basis, on all kinds of custom instruments. He does modifications and repairs, and comes to me for special machining and neck structures. He's very good at all the detail work and troubleshooting, and he operates a small low-overhead home shop, which keeps his rates reasonable.

Keith can be reached at: keithhorne1@gmail.com

4. RASHOSS

RASHOSS Supporting Member

I appreciate the feedback. I'm currently doing some troubleshooting and should know more after tomorrow night's rehearsal. Thank you!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Mo from Nordstrand does top notch AAA+ work. He's in studio city:

Repair Service
    Studio City, California 91604
    (714) 308-1897

7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

This thread is a little old, but I know a few guys here in Camarillo that do good work. Tim Gibson has done a lot of work on my Dad's guitars, and does excellent work. Jon Carruthers has a shop here too, and he's done work for just about every pro you can think of.

8. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

If you can make it as far as Van Nuys, I thoroughly recommend Eric's guitar shop. Great skills, nice people.