1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Luthite strap button repair?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RichardCranium, Dec 20, 2012.

1. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

I just picked up a Cort Curbow 5 for a steal used. Only thing is someone really did a number on the strap buttons and the totally wrong screw is in there.

My question is with those having the luthite body and not the traditional wood I was wondering what the best fix would be. Dunno if the usual toothpick and glue method would be sufficient or maybe some epoxy would be better anyone have any experience with these? :help:

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Wood glue won't penetrate non porous materials so it doesn't stick well. Epoxy would be better in this case. You can still use toothpicks as filler.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

I agree that Epoxy would be better than wood glue in this case... but... I'd fill the hole completely with Epoxy, let it cure, drill a pilot hole for the screw, then finish installation. If you epoxy the screw in the hole it'll probably never come out without breaking. Just my $.02

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

This procedure is questionable for a wood-bodied instrument may be perfect for synthetics...unless there's actually a Luthite tree.

Mix up a batch of good quality marine epoxy (Duro is crap). Liberally coat a round toothpick with the mix and jam it in the hole. You're bound to have some overflow so protect the surrounding material / finish. Trim the excess toothpick and allow to cure. Once dry, use a micro-bit (love my Dremel!) and drill an appropriately-sized pilot hole. If done correctly, the drill bit will follow the softer toothpick route without skipping or veering off. The re-introduction of the wood screw should re-tap when advanced. Keep in mind that the pilot hold need only be slightly smaller than the screw for best results.

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

Quick update I got some epoxy from the auto parts store and filled the holes with it and some q-tip stems. Let I sit overnight and the soft stems helped for guiding the screws in. Solid fix and no worries now thanks for the advice.