1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

M-Audio Fast Track clipping?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by AndrewM, Jan 24, 2014.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

I am trying to record a bassline using the XLR Out of my PF-350 amplifier into the mic input on an M-Audio Fast Track USB and using Audacity to record. However, even with the mic input turned all the way down, I seem to clip quite significantly. Turning down the gain on my amp fixes the issue but also affects my tone. Is there any other solution?

2. ejmy

ejmy

If you are using the front XLR input of the fast track, make shure you turn off the phantom power switch at the back.

3. AndrewM

AndrewM

4. ejmy

ejmy

Hum... I have an older model with the on/off phantom power switch at the back.
    I always use the guitar input, but I have tried in the past connecting to the unit using the XLR out of my Carvin amp and it worked perfectly. Of course the phantom power was off because it's basicaly a microphone preamp. If you can't turn it off, try sending a dry signal from your amp if you have an unbalanced switch for the XLR out.
    If you don't I suggest you get an adaptor for your XLR cable and plug into the 1/4 instrument jack.
    JMO

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ejmy

ejmy

I just checked the owners manual of your amp and you can send a pre-eq signal from the XLR output by pushing in the switch beside the output. But then you don't have the amps processing and effects.
    Try leaving the switch to post-eq and use the limiter switch (just underneath) to cut the output signal, it might work.

7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

A quick google tells me the PF is known for a hot DI output. Maybe try coming off the pre-amp out portion of the effects loop?

8. AndrewM

AndrewM

How would I go about connecting this to the interface? Would I need a 1/4" to XLR cable?

9. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

You could, but I'd probably just plug it into the guitar input using a spare 1/4". Its already set up to adjust impedance etc. plus this way your amps gain control can be used as an overall level control. Probably want to set it to line level, just to be safe.

Looked through the product booklet you posted above, it appears the XLR is set up for use with dynamic mics only? If that is the case, it is probably super sensitive to deal with the relatively low output of those types of mics. Could explain part of the issue.

10. AndrewM

AndrewM

I noticed that it specifically mentioned dynamic mics, but I didn't really think it would be designed to ONLY use dynamic mics. Also I was under the impression that running the XLR out from my amp into that XLR port on the interface would be alright even if it was meant for a microphone. Im pretty new to recording so I'm still getting the hang of everything. So you think I should just run an instrument cable out of the SEND on the back of my amplifier into the GUITAR input on the Fast Track, if I'm understanding you correctly?

11. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Well, the unit can;t supply phantom power, so yeah, its ONLY set up to use dynamics. Appears the guy above has an older model with phantom power, so that one you could use a condenser, but the manual you posted is pretty specific.

Keep in mind the DI is probably spec'd more for live use than recording. A live desk likely has more gain range to play with versus your interface. Eh, it happens.

And yes, FX loop SEND to the GUITAR input of the interface.

12. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

One thing I've seen in Pictures is that the XLR output of the PF-350 is labeled as Line Output. So the level of this output could be just to hot for the Mic input of the Fast Track.

Try Using an XLR to 1/4" cable and plug in the back input, press the button next to it to have Line instead of Hi-Z . That should work.
    If that does not work, you might want to take a look at a better quality interface with more options and Higher Quality Preamps or buy an XLR attenuator, like the Shure A15AS

13. AndrewM

AndrewM

So I tried going from the "send" on the back of my amp, and into the guitar input on the interface and when I opened audacity, no sound was coming through the interface. There was no option to select which input to take a signal from, just which overall device. I made sure audacity was set to record from the Fasttrack. Any ideas?

14. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

You have to select input 2 of the interface.
    Audacity: Preferences, Audio IO.

15. uhdinator

uhdinator

XLR on amp is line level, (effect loops send is line level also but not balanced). plugging into the XLR mic input is for much lower signal of mic's.

Use an XLR to TRS cable and plug into the instrument 1/4" input, depress button to select line level.

12. Input Level Switch – Input level selector for the 1/4” TRS input (13). When connecting a balanced line level input here, the switch should be set to LINE position. When connecting an instrument, the switch should be set to the GUITAR position.