1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

M-Audio Fast Track USB

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mpayne86, Dec 21, 2012.

1. mpayne86

mpayne86

Ok So i got a M-Audio Fast Track USB to record for myself, it wasnt too expensive and since im new to self-recording i figured why not.

So i installed it, and all the software launches, Pro-Tools Essentials, and i have headphones coming from the fast track box so i can hear my bass when i play both in stereo and mono modes.

My issue is this, i can not get my software pro-tools essentials to record anything.

Originally the issue was me not designating the inputs from the guitar. Since i did that i can now see the input monitor show a response when i play on my bass. Now i can hit record, but it wont record anything, i see the line move (the one that shows you were in the timeline you are listening to) but i get no sound waves during the recording, i get a count off, but thats it. I have tried this on another computer with identical results. So i know i am missing another step. I just cant figure it out.
    I downloaded the most recent drivers i am stumped. I feel pretty bad cause i usually can figure most things out, but im lost...HEEELP! haha
    i would appreciate any help anyone can give.

2. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

I have a Fast Track I got after I suscribe to a recording mag. I'll check and see if I can help you solve your issue. If you want we can chat via Skype and see if we can solve your problem. Send me a PM if you want to get my contact info

3. mpayne86

mpayne86

yea, ok.
    ill have to give you that info after i return home.

4. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    Is it possible you need to change your preferences in the recording program? When using my Focusrite Scarlett interface I have to change preferences in both my computer System Preferences and also the preferences in Garage Band.

Wally

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. makanudo

makanudo

Turn on the monitor option on the software?

Does the track record at all?

7. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

Well, as it turns out your problem might be very simple to fix. Which input are you setting on Protools to record your bass track?
    You have to choose input 2, because apparently the Fast track has two channels and the input knob only serves to set the gain of the XLR input. The TS Guitar/line Input does not have an input level knob.
    So yeah, just set your Bass track input to 2 :/ and record away.

8. mpayne86

mpayne86

i see ill try track 2 as soon as possible.

9. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

This. I dont use protools, but its how it works with logic. XLR is input 1, guitar in is input 2. When you create a new track in logic and select audio (vs software instrument or external midi) you need to select input 2. Also if you use the headphone out on your fast track, and want to hear your bass effects you have applied via guitar rig or pro tools etc, make sure your MIX knob is all the way clockwise to hear those, otherwise it will just be your straight input.

10. mpayne86

mpayne86

got it, there was an "send to instrument a-e" that has to be enabled.. ???
    it had to go through input 2, so thanks for that suggestion.

11. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Open up your I/O on the left side of the Edit window, make sure your input is set properly.

12. mpayne86

mpayne86

as i stated it was a "send to" instrument option.

All the inputs were correct.

13. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

The input monitoring you're hearing is likely directly off the interface, not from the software. Unless you're seeing the VU meter move on the actual track when record armed?

14. mpayne86

mpayne86

yea it doesn't move volume detection or record unless i choose input 2 and sent to instrument 2 in the software.