M5/M9/M13 Tap Tempo and Subdivisions via Expression Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass.bert, Apr 12, 2014.

1. bass.bert

bass.bert

Hey M5/M9/M13-users – is it possible to set the global tempo by tapping and scroll through subdivisions (1, 1/2, 1/3, ..., -notes) via expression pedal for all effect types? In the manual the subdivisions are just mentioned in the delay effects section. I'm mainly interested in modulation, so would it also work for the tremolos, filters and stuff? Basically i want the LFO to be always tempo-synced, but be able to sweep between quarters and triplets. i.e.

If it's possible, what do you get in the middle of the sweep? Is it just like two fixed values for heel an toe or will it automatically give you all the subdivisions that are between the two settings for heel an toe?

I found some older posts that said it's not possible, from others one could get the impression it will work. i also think there was some kind of firmeware upgrade since then...
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I have never tried this, but it would be easy to test. Just program the expression pedal the way you normally would and see if it works.

Whether or not there has been a firmware upgrade depends on which one you're talking about. The M5 (what I have) has never had an upgrade, but I THINK the M9 and M13 have.
  3. kevteop

kevteop

This won't work. If you set a param to a beat division you don't get the option of separate heel/toe settings. It quirks for times set in fractions of a second, but not beats.
  4. kevteop

kevteop

Works, not Quirks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

the only way I could get it to work was setting the heel/toe times in miliseconds... you do the bpm to ms conversion and set them manually, but this will only work with pre determied bpms... you can not set a heel or toe note values. TOO BAD!
  7. bass.bert

bass.bert

Thanks for the answers guys!

I own no M-series pedal at the moment, but i was planning to get one for beat synced modulation.

Hm, so it would just work for situations were the songtempo is set to a fixed value. By selecting the right values in milliseconds for heel and toe it's then possible to have "subdivisions" for that specific songtempo.

Has anybody some reallife experiences with that method? I'm thinking about weather or not the LFO would be in sync after one or more sweeps. I thought if subdivisions were possible the pedal should know where the next beat is and could resync after sweeping by starting the wavecycle exactly on that beat... Is there anything like restarting the LFO by one new tap in the M-Series?

I guess there aren't many alternatives that can handle the subdivisions over taptempo correctly. I know about the moog MP-201 or Copilot Broadcast (in combination with a filter/trem/... of course). What about the Source Audio Stuff? Do Orbit, Manta BEF Pro have taptempo? Any other multis? Maybe that line6 stuff isn't the right choice... :meh:
  8. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Eventide can do what you're asking.
  9. kevteop

kevteop

I think you'd go out of sync using a ms value, because there will be brief periods where you pass through other timings on your way to your selected division.

I can see why Line 6 didn't offer this feature. You'd probably need two filters to keep them both in sync.
  10. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

second method would be (with line 6 m9) have same fx in 2 different slots in same column, with different subdivision values, and switch between them.
  11. kevteop

kevteop

That would work so long as the clock doesn't reset when you switch effects, and there's no delay switching effects.
  12. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

I think it will work, switching will be almost instantaneous as you select a same-column effect and engaging it disengages the other one. As for the clock i dont think it does, but not really sure...