1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mac help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d_town, Feb 13, 2014.

1. d_town

d_town

Are there any iGurus about? I'm trying to send my non purchased songs from my i5 to my imac, surely there is a way to do this getting past itunes? Help please. Cheers in advance guys
  2. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I know how to move a whole library, not sure about only moving non-store-bought songs.
  3. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

How much music? If you have quite the collection you may want iTunes Match. All of your music will be in the cloud no matter where they came from. It's $25 a year but well worth it (to me).

Have a look: http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/
  4. ()smoke()

()smoke() Supporting Member

do you mean an i5 Mac to another Mac? or is i5 your way of abbreviating iphone 5?

if on a computer, just copy them to an external HD, then into the Mac.

if it is on your phone, just sync it with iTunes, no?
  5. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

Just use the finder.
    Locate your music folder - drag into itunes of your new computer and they will all transfer. If you have a lot of playlists there are ways to export and import playlists.
  6. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

I missed the bypassing of iTunes. Why would you want to do that?
  7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

You can hook up an external hard drive and just drag and drop all of your songs onto it. Then when it's done downloading, you can drag and drop the files onto your new machine.

That's how I do it at least :)
  8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Why would anyone want to use iTunes :confused:
  9. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

Because I have an iPhone, iPad, MacBook and iMac. It integrates seamlessly and syncs between all devices.
  10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

My experience with iTunes was it deciding to randomly delete music now and again.
  11. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

Gremlins.
  12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Most likely, just not a big fan of it. I avoid updates and only use it to add more music to my iPod!
  13. K2000

K2000 Supporting Member

Just wanted to say that iTunes creates a new copy of your songs inside the iTunes Library. So if you want to save space, you can delete the original song folders once the songs are safely imported into iTunes (unless you want to keep them as backups). You can look inside your iTunes Library to confirm this.

Also, I have never had iTunes delete music (to my knowledge).
  14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It's wiped it from both the library on my macbook and my iPod (at the same time), thankfully I still had everything backed up on my desktop PC (non-itunes folders). I just don't have faith in the software at all.
  15. d_town

d_town

I have music on my phone from my old pc that i no longer have, i need to send my iphone5 library to my itunes on my new mac but apple told me because of copyright, i can't send my non-purchased music to my mac, only my purchased stuff.. The only copy of my library on my phone is in the phone itself..
  16. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

Yep. Like I mentioned above, this is what Apple has come up with for your issue: iTunes Match. Worth it to me as I use iTunes Radio, too, and I like it ad free.
  17. matante

matante

How do they know what is purchased and what is not purchased? You mean purchased through iTunes, right? So if you bought an album from the band's own website, Apple does not recognize it as purchased?
  18. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

get a.... PC?
  19. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

AFAIK, iTunes knows what's in its store and what it has a license to redistribute.
  20. dannyk

dannyk Supporting Member

How does borrowing trouble help? ;)