Maccassar Ebony

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hopkins, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I'm looking for a piece of 3/4 Mac Ebony about 7" wide. Does anyone have a good source?

I have two pretty good wood suppliers here locally but they have pretty slim pickings at the moment.
  2. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

My local supplier has a bunch of boards, but they all have checking or other defects. Depending on how long a piece you need, they might be able to find something with enough good wood for you to use.

KJP Select Hardwoods (google their contact info). Their website doesn't show individual pieces of wood so you'll have to call or email to see if they have something that will work. If you want me to go down and have a look for you, just let me know. I hate visiting the wood store, but I'll suck it up to help fellow TB'er out.

Also, from what I remember, most pieces have similar colouring. Here is a fingerboard that gives you an idea of what it would look like.

[​IMG]
  3. Hopkins

Thank you sir,

Off the top of your head do they have any darker pieces. I am trying to match a piece that is overall a dark brown with some light brown streaking.

If you are planning a trip there anyway I would appreciate you looking, but by all means, don't make a special trip for me.

I am planning a new build. Padauk body , Mac Ebony top, Padauk neck, Mac Ebony fretboard. Chambered of course, if not this bass would probably weigh a metric ton. I already have a fretboard and enough to do a headstock veneer.

But If I don't find anything I am going to continue with the same build with the Mac Ebony replaced with Zircote
  4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

7. CH Design

I don't remember seeing any, but I didn't go through all of the boards. I'll have a look for you if I'm out that way.
  8. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Very pretty piece. I love mac more than the West African I have been using for fb's but it seems it is always out of stock.
  9. CH Design

I might be headed out that way later today. How big a piece do you need?
  10. Hopkins

3/4" x 7" x about 20"

Just enough to do a book matched top.

I really appriceate it.
  11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    If it's Mac........You can always join a few pieces together, to make a top. A carefully picked set of smaller pieces can be joined and look very nice, as long as you have a good eye with grain.

All I'm saying is that from time to time, you can't get what you need/want and you will need to be able to produce results, it does happen. Other times, you may luck out and find exactly what you're looking for.
  12. Hopkins

I suppose you are right. But I have almost made my mind up on ziricote if I dont find a wide enough piece ebony
  13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Yeah I mention this because from time to time, I run into things that will only partially work and I need to improvise (not necessarily compromise).

Example, I had to go through a different shell supplier for MOP and I ordered what this company considered "Extra large" pieces..............not so much. They weren't big enough for full sized triange inlays, so I had to cut small strips of abalone (for the center of each inlay), so that I could join the pieces to be bigger...........It's just a fact of life sometimes.

[​IMG]
  14. Hopkins

I thought about getting a 4/4 piece about 4 inch wide piece and split it four ways. I still may but like I said I am really liking look of ziricote
  15. CH Design

I didn't end up going. However, I'll be there tomorrow. If they have anything big enough I'll post a pic or two so you can see what they have.
  16. Hopkins

Very cool man, I really appreciate it
  17. CH Design

No. 1
    3/4x7-8x37
    Some small surface checking on one side
    $93.75
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. CH Design

No. 2
    15/16x7x33
    Surface checking on both sides
    $98
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. CH Design

No. 3
    3/4x7.5x40
    A little splitting on one end and a few surface checks on one side.
    $145

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    have you tried http://anexotichardwood.com/ ?
    not easy to find ebony on the web site, but they have it. i have never bought from them so I can't vouch for them but I think others here have.
  21. Hopkins

I really like that 1st board. I'm going to call them Monday and see if they will ship it to me. Even with the checking those are very good prices. That stuff is $90 a board foot here. Even if I don't use it for a top I could get quite a few fret boards out of it.

Thanks so much for checking that out for me man. The LC is a wonderful place :D

I snagged myself this beautiful chunk of Ziricote, and enough black walnut to get a body and a couple of neck blanks out of.

I hope after book matching I don't loose to much of that sap wood. I love that contrast.
    [​IMG]