1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Machine head advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nick303, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Nick303

Nick303

I'm building a parts-bin Precision bass and need to but some machine heads. Problem is, the position of the holes in the head necessitates a smallish back plate. Vintage or Wilkinson types stick out a lot. What small-backed good quality heads should I buy?
    I really want a set of VM Squier heads, can I get these as parts from anywhere?
  2. elBandito

elBandito

MIM fender tuning pegs are pretty decent for the price.
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

4. MIMike

MIMike

If you don't need them to line up with previous holes, and want a real nice set, the Hipshot Ultralights are very nice.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

I have a set of diamond plate VM tuners we could deal on. They are the older type not the mim shaped plates. I'm in Canada but I'll send them your way. PM me.

If you can find the cv tuners (I've seen them on eBay) they are better than the old VM sets though.
  6. Nick303

Nick303

I'm in the UK but could you post a pic of them?
  7. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Pm'd Nick.
  8. chienmort

chienmort

9. Nick303

Nick303

Thanks man, I checked that out and while those ones weren't quite what I'm after I did find some on the same site.