1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mack the Knife chart question

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by bassman_al, Feb 12, 2009.

1. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

View attachment 118404

Is this chart correct? I know there are a million variations to chords in this tune. Thanks!

2. zeytoun

zeytoun

Is that because singers hate C, or because singers hate to sing in whatever key your chart is in?

3. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

This is fine, it represents the most simple take on the chords of this tune. But I much prefer these, which I got from the magnificent record
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/Winners-Three-Barney-Kessel-Shelly/dp/B000000YWI

| C F7 | E-7 A7 | D-7 | G7 |
    | D-7 | G7 | C F7 | B-7b5 E7 |
    | A-7 | | D-7 | |
    | G7 | C |(turnaround)||

On the record Ray plays C on the a string, low F, then low E, and it's soooo deep! Also, keep in mind, it's often done modulating up a half-step each chorus, or at least with some sequence of key changes. IIRC on this record they start in C, then Db, then Eb, then maybe F. The bass solo is in F. Anyway, these sound better to me than the rather static ones in the chart you posted. More motion in the potion...

4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Media:
    A few months back I read Milt Hinton's autobiography. He, of course, spent a bunch of his mid-career time doing studio work. One of the tunes he worked on was Bobby Darin's "Mack the Knife", and Milt claims he and Hank Jones came up with the modulation idea and scheme for that arrangement.

I do the tune in one of my current combos and, unfortunately, the singer/guitar player can't really handle the modulating at the same time as remembering and singing the lyrics, so we play it straight through. I think the tune is much more... un-boring... with the mods...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

I'm going from memory here, but I'm fairly certain that there is a iii7 chord on the measure after the double bar. (I'm most familiar with the Bobby Darin version.)

7. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

I have heard the same thing. I've heard that in that case it was Hank's idea, but that in those days they just brought in very basic sketches of the arrangement and the guys (Milt, Hank and Osie Johnson were a first call team) would sort of come up with an arrangement.

I don't have that original version handy, but I listened to this version:

and I think there's no question that the chord in the 9th bar is (key of Bb on this recording) Bb/D. There's an F and Bb in the harmony. In fact, bassman_al's chart seems pretty dead on with this version.

Brent

8. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

There's a good version on "Oscar Peterson Trio + One" with Clark Terry. The changes are somewhat like what Brent Nussey posted.

9. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

Right --most singers like the Bobby version which most often has the iii7 followed by the chromatic descending dim chord...Em7 then Ebdim7 to Dm7, etc.

All the hep cats play it with more turnarounds more like the Oscar Peterson/Clark Terry version.

Then there's Moritat by Sonny Rollins...hmmm...I'm going to listen to that right now!

10. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

On the Oscar version (in Bb) Ray Brown sometimes goes to a IV right away -- playing the first line as: Bb Eb Dmin Dbdim Cm7, which is pretty hip, hitting the IV before the iii7. It may be that Oscar's still on I which turns it into like a IVmaj9 for a second.