1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mackie DLM Speakers!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by line6bassist, Dec 8, 2012.

1. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

Has anyone have or use these? I love the compact design, Tru Source Technology and 2000 watts....WOW!!! Cant wait for the Reviews :hyper:

2. Chromer

Chromer

2000 Watts, but only 128dB max output... Sounds like really inefficient drivers.

Definitely a nice size though!

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

I suspect 2000w means their pulling a trick QSC does on their K series.
    A stereo 2000w amp biamped, but there's no way a full 1000w will ever go to the high end.
    Still look good on paper, small and light, DSP, look forward to hearing them.

4. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

i haven't heard/used this YET, im hoping that i will soon, from my understanding its of a dual concentric design. theoretically it will sound great, but it wont have much of a throw distance. however mackie really may have surprised everyone...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CharlieC

CharlieC

I have never met a 12" speaker that could take more than 200 watts, but still I remain optimistic and sub'd to this thread

Cheers!

7. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

There is stuff has consistently been able to handle peaks of much higher than 200w. I've seen 3600w into the 2x12 SRX722. No sweat. They will also do 24/7 at 1600w with white noise.

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

2000 watts.... well, how it's rated is really the question when these claims are made. Probably 128db max because of the ultra low tuning (35hz).
    Some great advancements being made these days, although coax design is nothing new.
    Can't wait to hear them.... or can I?

9. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

so are you saying that even a 12"speaker that is rated say at 1500w RMS wont handle 200w peak? that doesn't make much sense to me....

10. CharlieC

CharlieC

Yes, I said that I personally have never met one of those speakers and that is why I have subscribed to this thread

The speakers I have met usually start farting well before what is on the sticker and I hope these speakers are the exception

Cheers!

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Dumb question.... How do you know how many watts you're pushing through the speaker?

12. CharlieC

CharlieC

Not a dumb question at all!

Any estimations on my part were based on abilities of the connected power amp and general comparison with other speakers, so my honest answer is that I do not know, but I am hoping to learn more about these powered DLM's from others on this thread. ;)

Cheers!

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Thanks... with all the different amp tapers etc, was unsure how you could tell the watts output... clear SPL is all I care about (and lightweight)

14. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

The power is meaningless. The specs say 128 db and that pretty much sums it up.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had a couple EAW SBX-220 subs, each with two 12s in them. EAW rates the subs at 1,400 watts continuous, and recommends amplifier power at 1.5 to 2 times that for headroom. I ran a QSC PLX-2402 bridged to each one. They never blew up, and had unbelievable punch. I'm sure those 12s saw a lot more than 200 watts each.

16. modulusman

modulusman

Agreed. I have a pair of EAW NTS22s that are self powered 212 subs. The built in amps are 2000 watts.

17. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

I'd be really curious to try the 8" + sub with my VB99 ....... :hyper:

I would be very surprised that the sub would have a better performance/size/power/weight ratio than my ART902as

Mackie DLM Sub is 35hz @ -10db , 2000w for 128db , that's lots of lost power me thinks.

18. 1954bassman

1954bassman

19. keyboard guy

keyboard guy

i just got my 2 mackie dlm 12s...playing keys thru them in stereo. plugged directly in, didnt change the eq, made me smile big. clean and clear and louder than shat. no low end mud. for stage full range keys rig, i am immediately leaving my qsc k12s at home for practice. these mackies are really light and small. added delay plus verb fx is just icing on my sound. wanted to let u know, the sound was more like a baby 3way. the cab is barely bigger than the 12inch speaker, probably why it sound so tight. add a sub for serious low end needs, but for me, very very happy surprise. am going to get two more even. should cover any show up to thousand seater without much PA help. and btw i have no connection with any dealer or sales in any way, just sharing. its been years since my live stagesound was "right"

20. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

Before my house fire I had:
    3 SRM450's
    4 SA1501's
    2 SRM1801 subwoofers
    2 SRM1501 subwoofers

I had the BEST sound in my area. Everyone was using me for sound. (I was a DJ but bands use to rent my speakers) If this line is better than the SRM and SA series then I guess I better get my money ready. Mackie has the best sound out of all of the powered speakers I've tested.

21. FX RENTALS

FX RENTALS

Disclosures:
    Chairman: FX Rentals Ltd
    We had a couple of days comparing these new DLM Speakers to our "traditional" Mackie SRM450 and SRM1801 (Sub) combination.

The new DLMs are pretty impressive - especially when you consider their size and weight. - Definite improvement in clarity and tone at volume. - You can drive them harder than the SRM450 / SRM1801 combination, but I don't see that as the key feature. - It's the fact that they can deliver decent volume from such small / light boxes.