1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Mackie SRM150 vs Behringer EUROLIVE B205D for...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by blastoff99, Feb 18, 2013.

1. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

... accordion.

Ok, here's the story: I play bass with a choir of about 60 people. We're doing Jambalaya (On The Bayou), and in addition to the usual piano accompaniment, we'll have an accordion going. This is a real 120-bass monster, and although it sounds plenty loud to me, the accordion player (who happens to be my mother) assures me that it won't be plenty loud when the choir gets going, and furthermore, she won't be able to hear herself over the rest of the ruckus.

So I'm thinking of one of the above-mentioned units for personal accordion monitoring. The Mackie is 33% more expensive, but has the advantage of not saying "Behringer" on it. Perhaps there are other advantages as well. They spec out about the same, and I'm sure they are both made in China somewhere.

Keeping in mind that whatever I buy will get limited use beyond accordion adventures, what would you do? Other options, not including shooting the accordion player, are welcome.

Thanks.
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Rent something.
  3. blastoff99

Good thought on the rental. Problem is that we need it for three distinct weekends, and renting something three times gets me to the tip-over point for purchase.

In any event: anybody know how to mic an accordion? :help:
  4. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Buy a powered speaker, somewhere on the lines of a Carvin PM15A or the PM12A.
  5. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

get a mackie SRM350 or a wharfedale titan 8.

those srm150's and the like usually don't do so well within load environments.
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I have a Behringer B208D. It doesn't have all of the inputs/EQ of the 205 (only one mic/line input, level, bass and treble) - but I have been impressed with it. 10 bucks cheaper than the 205. I even used it for our drummer's vocal monitor at a gig recently.
    It comes in super handy for practicing vocals while I play my bass, plus other stuff.
  7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Unless you're mother is into some special mic technique with the accordion.
    I think you need clip on mics because the part where the noise, er music, comes out is constantly moving with the bellows.
    So two clip on mics, something with two channels on the PA

Your mother taught you better than to just judge a book by it's cover, or do something because of "peer pressure". :)
    Try a FOH forum, and I bet they're not just slamming a speaker because of the name on it. Behringer is not your father's Behringer
  8. blastoff99

Thanks, everyone. I think she went with the 208. Now, to borrow an appropriate microphone.