Made a pickguard out of blotter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pappasgrind, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind Supporting Member

Just made this figured I'd share it's a sheet of blotter paper with a painting of hell on it thought it came out sweet ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394898762.058329.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394898779.723178.jpg
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That is very cool,
  3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Very cool. Looks great. I like creative solutions.

I've often thought about using the patterned/textured formica countertops for pickguards (or even a top to a slab bass).
  4. Pappasgrind

Thanks dude next I'm doing black hardware with gold screws gonna be sweet time
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Five decades past the Sixties and blotter paper is still too trippy for words! :D

Really cool work, Pappa! Can you tell us, or more to the point…ME, how you did it?
  6. Pappasgrind

I had the blotter art in a frame for the last 10 years so when I bought a black guard and it didn't fit I needed to do something and it just kinda came to me. So what I did was trace the pickguard over the art where I thought it would look the best cut it out then made another cut out out of some black poster board that filled in the holes where the art didn't reach then screwed it all together and boom
  7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

New contender in best bass for Metal :bassist:
  8. Pappasgrind

Ha thanks pal it is tuned down to c right now too beefy chugs thinking of upgrading to an audere 4b with the z switch and nordy nj5 try to shake the earth through my 2x15
  9. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I like it! Good job!
  10. Malak the Mad

So that's layered in order; Poster Board, Blotter Art and what looks like a clear pickguard. Do I have that right?
  11. Pappasgrind

Yep that's it man hopefully I never spill anything on it or I'm screwed atleast till I can figure out a way to maybe even have it laminated
  12. dagovna659

dagovna659

try spraying an acrylic clearcoat over it, might work not sure, but you can test it on a peice of scrap paper first
  13. dagovna659

dagovna659

By the way "Beautiful Pickguard", You just inspired me, instead of buyiny new pickguards i'll just overlay them and Clearcoat them. Imagine now you can have pickguards to match your clothing or certaian outstanding colors you wear. You've done very well "grasshopper".
  14. Pappasgrind

Ha ya thanks bud I actually it the idea from that dude who sells the bacchus basses he cuts wood veneers to shape which is pretty Bad arse I was thinking of doing that with some buckeye or ebony or amboyna
  15. skwee

skwee

16. Pappasgrind

17. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

18. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

THIN coats of satin poly! Love that pickguard, very baroque!
  19. Pappasgrind

I'm nervous to apply anything to it it's a one of a kind painting so if it gets ruined I have to come up with another cool idea and those aren't easy to come by
  20. Malak the Mad

Dude, now you really got my "inner art-student" up and running, because I just had an idea that might work. Instead of using a spray-on/paint-on clear coat, why not use something like this…

http://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-clear-acetate-sheets-and-pads/

…to create a clear, non-adhesive barrier? Just trace out your pickguard onto a sheet of clear acetate with a fine-line felt tip pen (not ballpoint…they need too much pressure to leave it's ink behind). Then cut it out with an exact-o-knife, preferably with a fresh blade. I can't say how thick a sheet you should get since I've never tried this, but the single-sheets are hardly what I'd call expensive.

Anyway, just some food for thought. Ciao for now!