1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Made an enclosure for my Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ariff, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

Just thought I'd post some pics of the enclosure I made for my Mesa 400+ for any of you out there thinking about doing the same thing. The vent holes on the sides work great as handles. I had a hard time really finding anything on line like this. So if ya need measurements and what not let me know. Anyhow here is a link!
    http://sdrv.ms/RwZxTQ
  2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Looks beastly!! Well done!
  3. gregoire1

gregoire1

That does look really good! I've been thinking of doing the same with my 400rb.
  4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Well done - pretty, and functional.
  5. iualum

iualum

Tremendous! Bee-you-tee-full.

About what did it cost you in materials & how long did it take you to do it?

And yes, please, I'd like measurements & what not :D .
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Excellent work!
  7. Foz

Foz

Awesome... looks factory.
  8. klejst

klejst

Very nice, looks top notch! Mesa should contract you to make cases for them.
  9. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

OK here are the measurements.. I have seemed to have misplaced my original plans.. But this should do.. I cut dado joints to join everything. The joint was cut on the top and bottom pieces. I then wood glued and finish nailed everything together. I also added some square re-enforcement dowels on the inside of the case top and bottom. Just cut about 7 inch long pieces of 5/8 square dowel and glue and nail them to the inside edges. I was able to get all pieces from a 2x4' sheet of birch plywood found at Home Depot. That was about 20 bucks.. All the hardware was around 25 bucks from spkrparts!-2007 on Ebay. And I got tolex from bretts_sound_shop on ebay cost 20 bucks.. Ya need a 36"x2 yards. I also used animal hide glue to stick all the tolex on the case. That cost around 15 bucks.. Of course you can always use contact cement. I was doing this inside so I did not what the smell of the contact cement smelling up the house. So when all said and done I guess it cost around 80 bucks for the supplies. Took me about 4 days to finish everything.. I took my time though and let the hide glue dry overnight. I wrapped it first and let it sit overnight. Then did all the cutting and edges the next night. Well I think that's about it. let me know if ya have any questions.. And thanks for the compliments ;>)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

Dude that is sweet!!!

I just got a Mesa 400 and i would love to have this. If you ever want to make another, i would be very interested :D
  11. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

Dude.. Make your own it really is not that hard ;>) Just take your time and go slow that's what I did. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. It looks great sitting on top of my PH 8x10.. Love it :hyper:
  12. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

yea it looks sick
  13. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

cool! great job.
  14. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Very nice job - I like it...

- georgestrings
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Man, that is nice looking work. Really, really nice job.
  16. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

Thanks everyone..
  17. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Excellent, excellent job. Well done sir!
  18. TorBass

TorBass

Looks nice! But, if I may make one suggestion... The venting on the top is scary. If someone spills a beer/coke/whatever fluid, the amp has had it. I would have made the case a bit taller, maybe 1U, and without the hole in the top. Then you get cooling, without that beer trap.
    Besides that, it was so nice that I will now head out in my shed to make a case for my 400+!
  19. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

Yeah I never sit anything like that on top of my head or let anyone put something like that on there.. Just an accident waiting to happen so having the vent open like that did not worry me that much. If you look at any guitar tube head they have big ol vents on the top as well.. So they have the same issue to deal with. When I see musicians set their beer on top of their nice JCM 900 it makes me cringe a bit..
  20. TorBass

TorBass

I try not to, and usually place my beer on the keyboard or the guitar amp. ;) On the serious side, I've had people empty a pint of beer in a mixer!
    But other stuff, like plectrums might fall down. And I do tend to use the amp as a place to put notes/sheets and other stuff. They will block the airflow. So I think I'll make mine a bit taller.