Made in Mexico? C'mon give a break. Answers plaese.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suntory, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suntory

Suntory

This starting to drive me crazy, so much so I have to comment. Is it me are does producing a signature bass in Mexico undermines a musicians credibility? A musician is a Brand in a way, you wouldn't spend $1200 dollars on a a designer suit made in Indonesia would you?

Fender is only hurting themselves with this nonsense, What kind of profit margin do they need from a mass produced instrument? I'm sure the technology they have today they can mass produce one in America for $250 dollars including marketing etc... and still keep Americans working, this hurts the brand. No one is clambering to get to the old Fender's made in Japan and they are decent instruments, they want Made in the USA.

J mascis had a signature Jazz Master made in Japan and it didn't sound like a Jazz Master or less you changed the pickups. Japan makes instruments comparable to America in my opinion, but that Jazz Master fell short, so much so JM didn't play one in concert, I suspect because it kinda stunk or maybe he felt like a sellout. Is it the greed of the musician or the Fender; both?

I've ask this question before, what does it cost to produce a Jazz bass in America? anyone? 20 years ago I new a guy who worked in the Bicycle industry and I ask him how much did cost to produce a downhill Mountain Bike frame in Taiwan? $50 dollars and it retailed for $1200. All that welding and high end Aluminum, $50 bucks. Now I'm sure the manufacturing has been moved to Mainland China and it still cost $50 bucks.

I saw a documentary on Manufacturing Clothing in China and the cost of your $100 or $300 dollar blue jeans? $5 dollars per unit, all that stitching; $5 Dollars. I'm just want to give you an example on how cheap it is to manufacture off shore.

Bulova used to produce watches in Switzerland and were one of the desirable Swiss watches. Then moved manufacturing to America and the brand went to pot, great watches are made in Switzerland, France etc.. not America. Recently they're trying to resurrect the brand by producing a watch back in Switzerland. That's branding, a good watch is made in Europe and people will pay the price asked. I should mention that product will hold a lot of it's value in resale. I'm not in business but even I've learned this by observation.

I know there are shareholders and employees etc.... But this is driven by something else. Greed?

Thanks for enduring my screed.
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I don't think Fender could mass produce a bass in this country for that money you factor in wages, benefits and the hoops businesses have to jump thru in this country and you couldn't make it for double that and make a profit.
  3. El Raro

El Raro

America has high wages. Asia/Mexico does not. Just because you're paying American price for a bass does not necessarily mean its worth the tag. More often than not, the price on American instruments has more to do with making up for money lost through labour costs rather than quality itself. I've tried a few MIA Fenders that were left in the dust when compared to their MIM counterparts both in sound and construction.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I have played a MIM Marcus Miller Signature a few times, and there is absolutely nothing cheap about it. I think some people need to get over negative stereotypes of Mexico and actually look at the bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grrg63

grrg63

7. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Musicman produces fantastic basses for under 2k. Made in San Luis Obispo California, USA. I have seen brand new Stingray's go for 1499.00.....Can't beat that for a top quality American made bass.
  8. musicman666

^^A little off topic but I do agree with the OP.
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I thought the Marcus Miller 4 string basses were MIJ??:confused: And the 5 strings were made in the US? Or am I completely wrong?

EDIT: After checking another thread, I see I was wrong---they are now made in Mexico, apparently. The one I (briefly) had a few years ago was MIJ, though, I am positive. Didn't realize until now they had switched production to Mexico.
  10. musicman666

I believe the Marcus was originally made in japan but Fender moved the production to Mexico.
  11. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Where does Japanese Whisky fit in your theory?

Things change, while reputation shouldn't be confused with the real thing. Judge things by their quality and not their place if origin.
  12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

I pay $20 - $30 for my jeans. Even when Levi's were MIA I paid less than $50 for them. I don't know anyone that owns $300 jeans.
  13. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Yep....show me a guy with 300 dollar jeans and I'll show you a moron who needs to punched in the head.....:D
  14. El Raro

El Raro

Lol'd a bit too hard at that.
  15. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

I wish i was sober enough to answer this appropriately :) It will need to wait until tomorrow though :(
  16. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Show me a guy who pays over a grand for a bass guitar...;)
  17. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Says the guy with the 6 string Bongo in his avatar :)
  18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Heyyyyyyyy ohhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!
  19. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

The point is that the guy who is in the Rickenbacker club, MIA Fender club, Ampeg club, etc is crapping on a guy who theoretically buys 300 dollar jeans...

Answer: I'm defending the guy buying 300 dollar jeans......
  20. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded

oh, this thread again....
  21. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Hey, if someone wants to waste $300 on a pair of jeans that is their right. But even if I was Bill Gates I wouldn't spend $300 on a pair of jeans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.