1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Made In USA

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thirtyhz, Dec 21, 2013.

1. thirtyhz

thirtyhz

So I am re-entering the world of bass playing in a jazz/funk outfit and am going to be buying a cab and amp in the next few weeks. I am hot on the Aguilar TH500 and impressed that they are made in NY NY. Also looking at Aguilar and Bergantino 112 cabs. Bottom line is that I refuse to buy any gear made in a certain country whose Totalitarian regime has a record of human rights abuses and predatory trade practices. So any other amps/cabs in the vein of the above, made in the good ol USA?

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

G-K, Mesa, Carvin, Ampeg Heritage series.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

All the electronic components from your proudly made in USA amp will come from said country. I hope you don't like neo cabs either because it is also the sole producer of neo magnets.

4. wighat

wighat

Ampeg Heritage SVT-CL and either the Heritage SVT-410-HLF or the 810, depending on your taste in cabs. Either of these rigs approaches perfection, IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

At least 90% of those parts anyway.

7. thirtyhz

thirtyhz

This unfortunate fact I know, so I'll control what I can.

8. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just bought the Bergantino CN 112 (28 lbs neo) and Santa is bringing me the TH500 in a few days. IMO I found this combo in the store to sound great, give decent volume, handle my Low B, and it is light enough to walk into the gig in one trip (only 32 lbs). They are both made in the USA, or at least as close as you can get. I had Carvin, which is decent, but I like the lower weight and better sound of my new set up. The Mesa Walkabout is another option, but there are no dealers close to me so I don't know what it sounds like. It is also almost 10 lbs heavier than the TH500. The GK is good too, but I didn't like it as much as the TH. The TH seemed cleaner to me. If you are going to play upright, you may also want to consider the Acoustic Image Ten2. The Euphonic and Epifani cabinets are also options, but the Bergantino and Aguilar cabinets seem to be used more.

9. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

I also buy American whenever possible. I just bought the Bergantino CN 112 (28 lbs neo) and Santa is bringing me the TH500 in a few days. IMO I found this combo in the store to sound great, give decent volume, handle my Low B, and it is light enough to walk into the gig in one trip (only 32 lbs). They are both made in the USA, or at least as close as you can get. I had Carvin, which is decent, but I like the lower weight and better sound of my new set up. The Mesa Walkabout is another option, but there are no dealers close to me so I don't know what it sounds like. It is also almost 10 lbs heavier than the TH500. The GK is good too, but I didn't like it as much as the TH. The TH seemed cleaner to me. If you are going to play upright, you may also want to consider the Acoustic Image Ten2. The Euphonic and Epifani cabinets are also options, but the Bergantino and Aguilar cabinets seem to be used by more bassist.

10. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

+1 to Carvin and GK

11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Fearful / fearless cabs, Reese amps, Verellen amps, Traynor from your cousins in the north.

12. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I've been super happy with my Mesa/Boogie gear that's all handmade in the USA.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Was about to say the same thing...

- georgestrings

14. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

whoops for a second there I thought you were talking about the U.S.

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

...smacks head on ground, I knew I was forgetting something I shouldn't have.

16. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

Gotta check your GK products, some are (MIA) & some aren't...

17. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

Cut 'n paste from Ampeg:

Designed and assembled in the U.S.A. out of the best possible components, Heritage represents the pinnacle of classic Ampeg tone and styling.

...NOT Made in USA...designed and assembled. Components from ... ???

18. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

The same thing could be said for any amp that is made in the USA.

19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Does anyone else see the irony? Have you taken a close look at what the US govt does and sanctions? The US (doesn't matter which party is in control at the time) does both of the things you just mentioned.

20. B-string

All production moved back to California USA as of 01/02/2012. Amps and cabs per the owner and president of G-K. If you have a G-K MB series made in their China plant it was made before then.

21. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

Again, designed and assembled in USA. Parts origin: ???

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/