Maestro hollowbody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arial Bender, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

Can anyone tell me about this logo? cheap chinese? or Gibson Maestro. Can't find this logo on Google. Thanks' John

2. RAMUSIC

RAMUSIC

Has the same weird tuning keys I'm seeing on other Maestro holowbodys... my guess it it's the same as whatever those are but with a minor logo change and without the diamond inlay/marking. But I don't know o_O

3. RAMUSIC

RAMUSIC

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Based on that link, Maestro would be a Matsumoku-made instrument. The visual elements of that bass are ALL Matsumoku. The black tuners on the bass in the first photo are pure Matsumoku and I've had the identical tuners on an Aria from the early 70's.

That factory made Epiphone, Univox, Lyle, Aria and a number of other brands, so they did a lot of name-branding for small lines. Workmanship is good, electronics are average, but a well maintained one is a good player and not that hard to work on if you need to update pickups or electronics.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

Thanks, Yea it sure does look like the Aria. It's on CL locally, everything is there minus electronics. I may have to go see it in person.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I bet you that you could pretty easily mount a set of Gretsch Filtertron pickups from Ebay ($50 each) in that beast. It would KILL. You'd need a floating bridge from Lyle, Univox or Epi from that era (they do show up on Ebay, I know because I bought on there) and a trapeze tailpiece. The pots and switch are easy/. If it's one of the single-pickup models, you have less stuff to buy.

The reason I know this is that I have a single pickup Lyle waiting for replacement gear like this...I have the pieces but haven't installed them yet.

8. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

He's still got it, price is coming down.Here is the rest of it. I'm just learning bass & only have solid bodies so far just cheap basses that I like to work on.(semi-retired carpenter, fulltime tinkerer) so I'm not familiar with floating bridges , tailpieces I'm guessing that is what is on here already?