Maggie May

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hotbass57, Apr 11, 2014.

1. hotbass57

hotbass57

One of my fav Rod songs and albums. Was listening to the bass line and noticed Ron Woods pretty much just rifts thru the song, the tone is killer imo. Love the Hammond and of course the mandolin.
  2. thomcat79

thomcat79

Know exactly wot you mean , always wanted band i was in years ago to
    play it jst so i could jam it live , great basswork , fits the song perfect:)
  3. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

It's a damn shame Woody doesn't get more recognition as a bass player....his guitar playing is kinda lazy and unspectacular in a "jamming with my friends on the porch" kinda way but his bass playing can be so fierce.
  4. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Yeah, Ron Wood is a fantastic bass player. I bet he's glad he went all guitar with the Stones though. Mo' money...
  5. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Pete Sears played guitar on Maggie May and went on to play bass with the Jefferson Starship. Give him a listen, some great bass lines on those albums.
  6. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Didn't Sears play with Big Brother and the Holding Company too?
  7. hangman

hangman Certifiably Used

Yeah, he is, but he was playing guitar in the Faces long before he joined the Stones.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

The most divisive bass line in history. Some love it for its sloppiness and brilliance. Some hate it for its sloppiness. I'm in the first camp. That bassline makes the song.
  9. electracoyote

electracoyote

Same here. He's working those major pentatonics to death, but it makes the whole song much more interesting. Flubs and all.
  10. nysbob

nysbob

Agreed.

Wood's bass work on the first two Jeff Beck albums remains tremendous in both feel and tone after all this time.
  11. hotbass57

hotbass57

I didn't know that about Sears, but I remember his bass playing on the Starship tracks. He has some very cool lines. The bass does just lope along in MM. Lazy or brilliant??? Love it anyway.
  12. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I've always thought Ronnie Lanes playing were like that too, very loose but in the 'why didn't I think of that' category. Great rock and roll bassplaying!!!!:bassist:
  13. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Great bass lines. The bass and the mandolin are what make that song. Crunchy!
  14. Indiedog

Indiedog

Speaking of the song, the other day I was trying to identify an instrument in the song...was a celeste used in it? It doesn't quite sound like a Fender Rhodes or toy piano or vibes or glockenspiel. Anyone?
  15. hotbass57

hotbass57