1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mahogany body with flamed koa top or Quilted maple top?????????????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KINGPIN_88, Mar 31, 2014.

1. KINGPIN_88

KINGPIN_88 Supporting Member

Hey Y'all

I am in the process of building a bass and i have a question whether I should my core wood is mahogany (African) and I am wondering if I should pair it up with a quilted maple top or a flamed koa top. What would be the tonal differences. The neck is going to be a wenge ebony neck. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Not gonna enter the fray about the "tonal differences" but fwiw I've found that I personally tend to gravitate towards basses with similarly hued woods when there's just a single top laminate, but contrastingly hued woods when there's both a top and back laminate.

iow, if you're just doing a top laminate on a solid mahogany body, I would prefer the darker koa because the two shades would blend well together. Conversely, if you were doing both a top and a back laminate I think the light/dark/light contrast of flamed maple against mahogany would be more attractive than the almost uniform brown of koa/mahogany/koa.

Then again, if your body has any elbow cuts that provide a reveal to the core wood, all bets are off. Use what you like. :)

3. KINGPIN_88

KINGPIN_88 Supporting Member

I got you I think I will stick with the mahogany and koa then