1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

main bass NOT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GODSBASSMAN, Aug 6, 2013.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Wondering if anyone is like me and do NOT have a main bass. I have 4 basses and rarely use the same one. ????
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Me
    I use the right tool to do the job.
  3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Sort of. I go back and forth between two. Both my MIA P and my SX Jazz get equal time, both go to the gig, and I'm always undecided on which to play.
  4. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

i'll play whatever bass has the strings at the exact right moment, not to new, not to old
  5. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have 10 basses and love every one for different reasons.

I rotate them as much as possible, and derive great pleasure
    from playing each, but I do have a few favorites that I use
    more often than the others.

Still, it would be difficult to pick a clear favorite.
    I guess that's why I succumb to GAS from time to time
    and continue buying basses -

Top of my list: Sadowsky Metro Will Lee 4
    then comes 8 Fender Jazzes and 1 Ibanez SG500.
    They're all set up beautifully and all sound great but different
    from each other. Any one of them could be a "main bass".
    And that's what makes it tough to decide.

:cool::bassist:
  6. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

6 basses I do have a main but I'm working on changing that I use a Warwick bolt on thumb mostly now but I am getting a fret less 5string carvin um back in playing condition I'm excited tho my whole rig will be from California lol
  7. travhop42

travhop42

I have 3 basses right now and I like playing a different one every time. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to pick one and play it all the time. Then I get bored and change again. I watched Robert Cray's bass player the other day and he changed basses almost every song. He used about 5 different basses I believe.
  8. ShowLow

ShowLow Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Nothing to add to this! Love 'em all. Wife says I have too many.

:bassist:
  9. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I love all my basses. They are like children to me. But just like any parent I secretly have a favorite.
  10. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

All of my basses seem to get an equal amount of play time lately.
  11. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo

Disclosures:
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    odds are its me and my 58p..
  12. tbz

tbz Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as THORR more or less.

3 Stingrays, one 30th, one 1991 one 2005. 2005 is the biggest and most aggressive of the three; if I'm playing an uncomplicated, but "large" part and want it to sound huge, I use the 2005. The 30th is less in your face, but has a more aggressive low growl. The 1991 is a nice midpoint between the two.

All three work for heavier and louder stuff, but they can be a bit overbearing on the lighter stuff.

I have an Ibanez DWB-2, which is essentially Ibanez's version of a nice Spector. It's great for lighter stuff as its a bit more delicate than the Stingrays. It's also good for heavier parts when I don't want to quite sit as loudly in the mix as I do with the Stingrays.

There's an American Special Jazz; it's one of the two non-active basses in my arsenal and holds down the spot of the traditional bass quite well. If the Stingrays are too aggressive, and the Ibanez is too modern the Jazz will usually be the right choice.

I have a Dean Rhapsody 8 string; I use that on songs where I need to carry a significant load, in terms of sonic space. My guitarist and I both sing, and on certain songs the guitar drops out quite a bit as a result. Those songs are perfect for the 8 string. It's also perfect for those songs where I write a part that *should* be doubled by guitar, but can't be due to my band being a 3 piece.

Lastly I have a Warwick Corvette Standard, this bass tends to fill an odd niche now, but essentially its perfect for those rare spots that none of the other basses can fill. If nothing else sounds right, the Warwick is the last option generally, but rarely fails in that role.
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep, I've got a bunch and play whatever I feel like playing at the time. All of them could be "a main bass" if I wanted to only use one.
  14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

3 here, and each one has a specific role. Fender Am Dlx P is the main "normal" bass, Ric 4004Cii is tuned D standard, and the StingRay Classic plays well with a large synthy board of fx. Love them all equally, though each is unique.
  15. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Yup... I play fretted and fretless and 8 or 12 string at each gig. I did bring my fretless jazz to every gig only because it was my only fretless.

Now I have 3 fretless and am defretting an Epiphone TB so I'll have 4 fretless and 5 fretted 4 stringers and rotate them all around. I have 1 8 string fretless, 1 8 string fretted and 1 12 string... I lump all 3 of those into the ( lot's o' strings " group and will bring one of them.

Cant wait to try my new ( to me ) fretless Spector Core and see what it sounds like loud.
  16. gurensan

gurensan

2 basses with plans for two more that might end up comaining. That's a real word. I just made it up.
  17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I have 8 strung up and ready to go, but I tend to play 3 90% of the time. An '63 P, a SUB 4 with an SGD Lutherie preamp, and a Tobias Renegade 4 converted to 8 and covered in trolls.

* I tend to just play one bass, I don't swap them around for tonal reasons. When I pick one up to play I rarely switch.
  18. thumpguy123

thumpguy123

its been about a year since i've gigged out, but as far as main basses go, i use all 10 of them. there's no reason not to :) i loved my charvel 3b so much, i bought a fretless one and that's probably the least used, but i try to sit down with it once a week. just not a big fan of fretless. in my opinion, you're limiting yourself if you only play one bass
  19. rtslinger

rtslinger

I have 9 but recently the two with led lights are my main two sx jazz with green lights and my epi embassy 4 has black light leds and dr neon strings green pink orange and yellow
  20. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Same here - I only keep a bass if it plays and sounds really good, otherwise it goes down the road... I'm currently at 12, and have been bringing both a 4 string and a 5er to every gig or practice in my current band... I have my "more valuable" and "less valuable" basses - and I'll gig accordingly, depending on the venue or conditions, but they all see stage time...

- georgestrings