major head stock issue - Gibson Triump Frankenbass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by The old guy, Dec 3, 2012.

1. The old guy

The old guy

A few months ago I purchased a damaged Gibson Triumph Recording bass with the hopes of putting it back to right as my second bass with some fun additions. The biggest issue was a neck break. If it could be easily repaired by my Luthier for $150 – $200 it was worth it. Any more than that it would be better for me to scrap it and recoup my money selling it off for parts.

After inspection by my Luthier, he indicated it had been poorly repaired several times before and was not worth repairing. He said he could make a back strap for it and replace the truss rod but no guarantees and a ticket of $500.

Another possibility would be for me to attempt to build a new neck for it. An intriguing option but one that is at the edge of my present abilities. I was about to list the parts when I ran across a Luthier on the web (see link below if so desired) who had overcome a similar situation by grafting a new head stock onto the original neck. It just so happens I have a 34 inch scale maple neck for a Les Paul bass from the 80’s. Save for the length and wood type it is almost a perfect match as to neck profile headstock shape and angle. Do you feel grafting this on to the old neck is an appropriate 4th option for me to pursue? headstock.JPG

http://chellee.com/site/1995_SG_Headstock.html

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Um..why not put the Les Paul neck in the triumph? You'd need to get the old neck out, and likely a bit of reshaping the LP neck...but it might be possible.

3. The old guy

The old guy

Yes, that would have been the ideal solution and why I purchased the maple neck a while back. But the maple neck is set up for a 34 inch scale bass and the Triumph Recording bass is a 301/2 inch scale. The Maple neck is too long to work.

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I see. In that case, I would craft a new headstock from a piece of maple. I don't think it's worth butchering that LP neck for the headstock.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The old guy

The old guy

Thanks HaMMerHeD I understand what you are saying. But my lack of skill in creating such plus the fact I only have $15 in that neck and will never have another use for is why I was inquiring. I guess a better way to pose my question would be "Is it possible and would it be effective to graft the headstock and part of the neck from the Maple neck to the old neck?" In truth I dont even know if it is a reasonible approach to try. If not I will forget the whole thing, but if those with experience think its worth a try, my investigations into how to do it will begin. :)

7. The old guy

The old guy

Please close this thread. I will post this on another forum and I don't want more than one thread open on the subject at any given time. Thanks in advance.