1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Major Innovation in Bass Tuning Gear Design

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Nov 27, 2012.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News & Features Posting Account Gold Supporting Member

NoahJames Guitars expands it product line to include precision parts, with the release of JENZ precision machine heads, heralding a major breakthrough in tuning gear technology for electric basses.

Developed by music industry veteran guitar designer and custom builder, James Donahue, new JENZ machine heads are direct, drop-in replacements for the familiar open-back, elephant-ear-style bass tuning gears that have been standard equipment on one-piece-neck electric basses since their introduction. Donahue’s patent-pending, innovative machine heads address shortcomings that have plagued electric bass design since its inception. Turns out that threaded posts on JENZ gears are the secret sauce – strings are channeled to anchor at the lowest point on the machine head post, improving overall headstock stability and also eliminating headstock bowing! Overall bass neck structural integrity is thereby improved to the point that many ailments common to one-piece necks are mitigated. First, string installation is significantly improved. Strings automatically wrap neatly and snugly around the tuning post without any winding error, so a string can’t bind against itself and become prone to sticking or slippage. Second, the common predicament that many bassists confront – the need for the truss rod to be maximally tightened to compensate for the headstock bowing due to its inherent weakness from being unreinforced – is no longer the case because the headstock is kept straight. Third, since the natural tendency for strings to pull up on the headstock is reduced, unwanted modal vibration of the headstock that causes pitch warble, modal dead spots, and sustain loss is alleviated. Finally, JENZ gears also eliminate the need for pesky string retainers that contribute to unwanted modal vibration in the headstock. With JENZ machine heads, Donahue’s improvements to bass tuning gear design are evident in several key areas: easier string installation and tuning, better pitch accuracy and stability, fewer dead spot issues, and increased sustain.

JENZ bass machine heads come with a limited lifetime warranty and are easy to install, and work with any bass strings with a tapered core -- regardless of gauges or wind types. For more information, please visit www.noahjames.com.

Attached Files:

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

where are they available for sale? i see a link title on the website but it doesn't go anywhere.

3. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Need it available in a HipShot and I would try a set.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. newbold

newbold

Why not just put your strings on so that the same thing happens?

7. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

This is actually pretty cool, but I they'd make some more money if they designed the post to fit other brands' tuners. I like my American Standard tuners, and this brand is not a direct fit.

8. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

*think* they'd

9. mongo2

mongo2

That's what I've done for decades. I recently removed the string retainer form teh headstock on several of my basses and did notice a difference. It's a free and easy mod for those basses already having tuners with straight sided posts or MM/G&L tuners with their tapered post.

10. marrkked

marrkked

Yes,I think so Why not just put your strings on so that the same thing happens.
    Thanks to all.

11. superbob67

superbob67

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering Amps, Schecter Basses, DR String, Traynor Amps, Tech 21 NYC, Access Cases, HoTone Pedals
    I've got Jenz tuners on two of my basses. They really do make a big difference! Not just the design difference but the tuners themselves are really well machined and well made.