Make My Music Man Lighter!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arnoldschnitzer, Jan 31, 2014.

1. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Loving the sound of my recently acquired EBMM Stingray 5 string (single pickup), but the weight is killing. Looking for ideas to put this thing on a diet...
  2. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Other than tuning keys, you could change the body (not sure if anyone makes an aftermarket body for MM basses). But that will help if you find a body that's nice and light weight. Ash can range from featherweight to strapping on a bag full of bricks. There are litterally 100% differences in weight range for Ash bodies (i.e. a 4 lb body OR an 8 lb body of the same size and shape). Ash varies quite a bit.
  3. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

The normal solution is to play guitar rather than bass - most basses are heavier than guitars. The stingray 5 is a large instrument so is unlikely to be lower than 9 lb. Sorry but this is a fact - a decent wide padded strap is a bass player's friend also.
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Sell it and find a lighter one if it really is intolerable. All you can do is get a wider strap, which really helps. You can get some G&L tuners and shave off about 1/2 lb maybe, but that's all you'll reduce in weight.

Store sites like Bass Central and The Perfect Bass are listing bass weights of their in-stock basses.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Change the body and you might not be happy with how that bass sounds. That aside, good luck finding a replacement body.

There is nothing practical you can do to significantly reduce the weight of that bass. Sell it and buy something else.
  7. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

I guess an extreme thing you could do is chamber it but again, that's an extreme option.
  8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

9. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

I have an SR5 which is my heaviest bass - maybe coincidentally maybe not it has phenomenal tone and growl - the thing is though, the bass is so well balanced that the weight is no problem to me when using a wide padded strap as well. And I'm approaching my sixth decade so if anyone was going to complain about weighty basses it should be me. Bottom line a Stingray 5 is unlikely to weigh much less than 9 lbs.

If you modify your Musicman you're likely to render it much less saleable and will cut the value also. So if you don't like it best bet is to sell it.
  10. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Lightening holes?

[​IMG]
  11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I believe JohnK made a lighter SR body for someone at one time, but I may be getting my facts mixed up. You could check with him or sell it and get something lighter. I sold an 11 pound P bass because I just couldn't take carrying it around anymore (as bad as it was on a strap carrying it in a plywood case wasn't any fun either).
  12. Hues

Hues

I happened to still have that JohnK thread bookmarked.

www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/my-ebmm-stingray-begins-its-diet-today-702682/
  13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Play under water

Go into space

Exercise would only give the perception that it is lighter
  14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

He made one for himself. Which if you can do, isn't a very costly thing. But if you're paying someone else by the labor-hour to professionally build a replacment body, then the cost doesn't make sense.
  15. Webtroll

There you go! I can't imagine doing anything else that will be as effect or come out anywhere near as nice.
  16. Webtroll

True enough, were it me I'd sell it which is what I did with my '81 P Special. However if it was a bass I wanted to keep with a neck I loved I'd certainly consider paying the extra money to get it done right rather than sell it and hope I can find another bass I like as much. Perspective!
  17. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

You didn't say how much it weighed, just that it was too heavy. IME, SR5s run from just under 9 lbs to 10.5 lbs. If it's a classic with the slab body, maybe even more. Personally, I find anything much over 9lbs to be too heavy for me for a 3 hour gig night so all my current basses at 9lbs or less.

First thing is to get some type wide strap that has some give to it. These are my personal favorites:

http://www.amazon.com/Neotech-8301052-Mega-Strap-Black/dp/B000P4FBQO

Some prefer the comfortstraps and Levy's has a stretchy one too. Also, I find the lower you wear you bass, the heavier it feels check your strap position.

If all else fails, sell it and search out a lighter one. I was lucky enough to find one that was just a shade over 9 lbs and love it. Mine happens to have mahogany body and roasted neck but I think it's hard to judge weight just from wood type.
  18. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

I might --- MIGHT -- mind you, consider taking the stock body in trade for a body I'd make for you.

There'd be no additional expense other than shipping for you.

The caveat is that I don't build in Winter as I like to not freeze off my appendages when the shop is -10ºF inside.

This could be an early Spring project though.
  19. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

20. SteveC

SteveC

Is it the SR pup that you like or body style? If it's "the sound" try getting a Roscoe with the "MM" pup. They have made a number of them. I believe PacMan (Mod on TB) has one. He could give you an idea of how it compares.
  21. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

hypnosis or a better strap