1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Making a bass to stay more balanced

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cmedinabass, Mar 15, 2014.

1. cmedinabass

cmedinabass

Hey guys, I have a Squier Jazz bass VM 77. I love it (especially because the lightweight) to the point that I want to keep it forever, even if I can buy a more expensive bass. The thing I really want to change Is the balance, its a bit neck heavy and it dives away from the position that would be perfect (I only play standing up) . So my question is how can I make the bass to stay tilting to the body ? I have thought of replacing the neck or the machine tuners for lightweight ones, but it might be also a question of where I place the strap. Does anybody have any experience on this topic ? thanks.

2. bass5str

bass5str

grats on finding a bass you want to keep forever :hyper:

other than lighter tuners you may want to look at getting a wider strap, heavier bridge, and or strap lock extenders to move that position closer to the 12th fret.

good luck!

3. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

Ultralite tuners are the perfect cure for mild neck dive. I replaced some gotoh compact tuners on my instrument with the lite version and viola, neck dive gone. They were 1/3 lighter in weight :bassist:

4. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

The shoelace trick:
    1. Tie some shoelace to upper horn strap pin.
    2. tie other end to bridge half of strap about level with elbow.
    3. Shorten until no neck dive = where Centre of Gravity (roughly neck plate) is in midline if your body.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cmedinabass

cmedinabass

thought about that too ! but I don´t know if they´ll fit the holes in my bass, where they a direct fit in yours?

I honestly did not understand the 2nd step ... A picture would be appreciated :D

7. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

2. Run shoelace across front of your chest and tie to strap on the other side.

8. Milk

Milk

yeah I just got a Epiphone EB-3 and this thing is a heavyweight in the neck..... if I let it go the headstock will crash to the floor. I really need to try some tips.

9. Davo-London

Davo-London

Still don't get this ...

Davo

10. Osprey

Osprey

Very odd! But it will work. (I'm not bothered by the minimal neck-dive on my P bass, but I tried this out). To combat neck-dive it's natural to think in terms of moving the horn strap-pin outwards..by having a bass with a longer horn or one of those extensions you sometimes see. But the shoe-lace trick is in effect moving the back strap-pin inwards. Not the pin of course, but the take-off point of the strap, since it becomes partly supported by the lace which is fixed right forward.
    It wouldn't take much skill to stitch a piece of webbing to lie between the buttons, along the back of the bass, with eye-holes for the strap to be attached. That would do the job for one of those terminally unbalanced instruments. There must be metal fitting or hooks intended for other purposes (horses? boats?) which would allow a neat job on the webbing and on the end of the strap.

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

http://www.divers-supply.com/Scuba-Lead-Hard-Block-Weight-1Lb-P360.aspx
    Lead scuba divers weight...1 pound. It's soft so you can easily trim it.
    You can attach it to the bottom of your strap with a padded seat belt cover. Cut off a few inches of the bottom and slip it inside and then sew it back up. Of course, there are other ways too. There used to be a strap called the Heads-Up with a bulit in pocket and assorted weights but they stopped making them.
    No moving of the strap button is necessary.

12. gleneg61

gleneg61

So with the lace trick, you'd have to stick ur head thru the strap n lace every time u took off/put on the bass strap, eg, between sets? Shortening the lace pulls the bass neck more to ur right (for righties) for better leverage n less stretch? Is that correct? Thnx

13. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Yes. The bass' Centre of gravity (approx neck plate) moves from below your left shoulder to closer to your midline = huge improvement in balance. There's an excellent description and illustrated diagram here...
    http://forum.warwick.de/showthread.php/12300-Moving-strap-buttons

14. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

15. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

With a top horn light weight tuners work well. With no top horn, like the ASAT, I made the ASE.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

17. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster

I have the same bass-super light. I put on my wide strap and that did it for me.