Making a rosewood fretboard look like maple?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b525, Apr 15, 2014.

1. b525

b525

Bit of a silly question. Could you paint it to look like maple? I like the aesthetics of a maple fretboard when it contrasts with certain body colors. But.... I dislike the feel and sound of it. It has a rather bright tone I believe. :meh:

What sort of paint would be right? How would you do it? Would the paint affect the playability, feel or tone?

Cheers,

---b525
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    No. You can't.

Unless you're a superbly talented artist with an airbrush, it'll still just look like light brown paint.
  4. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

+1
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tgriley62

tgriley62

IMHO. If you can just buy a maple neck to replace the rosewood
  7. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

For what it's worth, painting it will change the tone, too. Part of maple's brighter tone comes from the fact that it's finished (usually in Poly) while Rosewood is unfinished.

That said, there's not THAT big of a difference between Rosewood and maple for sound. You also can't "feel' a difference between a maple or rosewood board, as your fingers never come in contact with it. They touch the back of the neck and the strings. The strings don't even touch the board, unless it's a fretless.
  8. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

+1 Indeed.

Why not go to the local music shop and play one of each? I have really enjoyed the maple boarded basses I have owned. But I am a RW kind of guy.
  9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

this is how.
  10. b525

b525

Ooookay. So the general consensus is a big... no. :bawl:

Ah well, I appreciate the replies guys, guess I will never use anything that at least looks like a maple fretboard for the rest of my life. :p

Although I know that some people stain rosewood fretboards to look like ebony. Any thoughts on that?
  11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I like the sound and feel of a rosewood board too.
    I have one bass with a maple board on it. I love the feel of the neck and the looks of it on that bass.
    After playing around with strings and pick ups I got the bass to sound the way I wanted.
  12. Happynoj

Happynoj

If you are worried about the tonal effect of the maple fingerboard on (presumably) a maple neck, you could get a reversed neck made of rosewood with a maple fingerboard? That should cancel out the added brightness of the maple board.

Also, I'm personally not convinced that if you got two identical basses with different boards that the board would have enough of a tonal difference that you would be able to pick them out in a blind test.
  13. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Are you looking for a "Summer Project"? Paint you mom & dad's house, then.
  14. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

15. warrplayer

warrplayer Supporting Member

Man, I can understand where the OP is coming from. I love the look of maple on certain basses. I wonder if there are white woods that could be used for a fretboard that have the warmth of Rosewood...or less of the snap of maple. Someone had a wenge heartwood fingerboard (a pale tan/yellow) fingerboard on display in another thread that was to die for, but not sure how close wenge is to rosewood.
  16. chuck norriss

Just get what you like & get a good equalizer.
  17. warrplayer

Lol. So true. But, do I get something that looks good, or something that plays easy? Or, something that attracts females? :D
  18. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Don't play bass if this is you motive.
  19. warrplayer

This is doubly true for Stick or Warr Guitar!
  20. chuck norriss

looks man! looks!
    given you're using a quality neck. playability is a separate issue that depends on your preference/your choice. nut width, neck radius, fret style/size, scale length, neck shape/girth. Ithought this was already out of the way. e.g. you like Fender Jazz necks. ok. now, pick a color. there have been comparisons done here & youtube you'll have to lookfor them but I'm not certain I can actually hear teh diff in maple or RW boards. There are exceptions to everything, hence, learn to use your EQ.
  21. chuck norriss

If you think a girl is going to be attracted to you because of the type of fb you have, I have news for you.