Making an electric sound like an upright

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tbplayer59, Jan 19, 2014.

1. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for making a solidbody fretted bass (Jazz) sound more like an upright?

I'm already using flatwounds.

Any suggestions for getting an arco sound? Any effects that can give it the hollow sound?
  2. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Flats and sponge rubber over/under the strings at the bridge gets close.
  4. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

This, but I can get even closer with tape wounds instead if flats.
  5. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

Palm muting and plucking with the thumb give you a lot of the weight and the fast decay typically associated with the sound of an upright. However, it won't give you the snarl of the string vibrating on the fingerboard.
  6. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

I play db, and also have an Affinity P with flats and foam under the strings, as well as a Dean ABG with tapewounds. Now, don't get me wrong, the P sounds great in that configuration, but nothing like a db. The ABG with sounds close , but to really get the sound you gotta have a fretless. That "mwah" sound is the money when trying to get that db tone, and fretless is the only way to get that.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

+1 and make them old flats!

Seems to me there are two parts to this: "thump" vs. "hollowness".

For thump:

Foam under the strings helps keep the note from ringing out. The tighter the fit, the faster the decay.

I've listened to many older recordings and the fast decay of each note is most important to getting close to the upright "thump".

Even with foam I add palm muting to get even faster decay.

For that hollow sound:

If you're trying to get the "hollow" sound for a recording, my suggestion is to pickup a Hofner. Nothing like a hollow body bass.

My first good bass was a Hofner that I gigged for about two years. I switched to a '64 Fender Jazz due to getting tired of the Hofner neck dive.

The Hofner sounded great, was very light, easy to play and had very powerful pickups. Still, the Fender had great tone that sat in the mix perfectly, still easy to play and wish I had never sold it.

I used a pick with both basses and FOH, due to venue acoustics, IMO, no one could really hear the difference and none of my musician buddies ever pointed out any differences.

I could add palm muting to the Jazz when needed and just left it at that. I did use a scooped tone with a pick and palm muting and that was about as close as I could get to the "hollow" sound of the Hofner.

My G.A.S. list still includes a Hofner! :)
  8. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

I do have a Hofner, and yes it has that hollow sound, but the music I'm going to be playing has some really fast parts that I can't execute on that close string spacing.

Are there cheaper electronic alternatives for digital modelling than suggested by the 2nd poster?
  9. M0ses

M0ses

It's possible for a slab bass to sound like an upright about as much as it is for a keyboard to sound like a trumpet.
  10. dkelley

dkelley

It's easy.... been doing it for years.

Fretless, humbucker, lots of bass and mids, palm mute, play with edge of thumb, careful left hand, occasional slides, avoid fancy chords that aren't plausible on upright

If fretted then add to the list no slides, no misfrets, and finger ON the fret, not behind it, and obviously no vibrato on fretted since its very different sounding from pitch up and down wrist or arm vibrato.

Been doing this for 25 years and fooling people the whole time.

Or my Roland vb99 upright model is pretty useful too, but I still follow all of the same rules in my playing technique.
  11. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Nothing.
  12. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

IMO- Ur never gonna get an electric fretted or fretless bass to sound like an upright. U can fake it by solely dialing in ur peiso p/ups. Its still gonna sound like a fake version of an upright. Start playing upright is the only answer.
  13. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

I use the neck pickup with the tone and volume knobs rolled back a good ways. I'm not trying to fool anybody, just create a tone that's plausible for the part.
  14. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    Acro sound? You need arco chops and a double bass, don't believe anyone that tells you different.
  16. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Closest I've heard is the line 6 variax bass. Its a modeling bass. Simulates a Kay upright, 8, string, 12 string, fretless. They are discontinued now but pop up for sale here and there. I've been wanting to get one to transplant the electronics into a warmoth build. A lot of folks here on talkbass wish line 6 would sell those electronics separately.
  17. henry2513

I agree with this 100%. All people are going to say is "oh that dude's trying to sound like an upright, why doesn't he just play an upright."
  18. henry2513

Yeah it's really cool but you have to have very clean technique or it sounds like garbage, you'll get mis triggers and glitches. I bought one and then sold it because my technique wasn't as clean as I thought it was, I just picked up another one last year and now that my technique is cleaner it's very useful.
  19. Kael

Kael

A fretless j is going to sound like a fretless J. Period. It will never sound like a double bass. That's not a bad thing. A fretless J sounds pretty nice. People who think they are coming anywhere near the tone of an upright with a J are mistaken. Rob Allen's seem to get the closest to an upright tone and even there it is noticeably not a double bass. Once again, who cares, it sounds good.
  20. vin*tone

vin*tone

^^ This. I can't get my upright to sound like a Jazz bass either. :D