Making My Own DIY Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kleinenenten, Jan 6, 2014.

1. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

So, I've been looking at pedalboards lately, and they seem prohibitively expensive for what you're getting. If I could bend metal, I could easily make a Pedaltrain for a couple bucks! Anyway, this got me thinking about making my own pedalboard. I decided on wood and planned out my board last night. Here's what I've got so far. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

This will likely be a LONG project, so I make no promises as to the regularity of updates. I don't even have woodworking tools! (My father does, and he's an engineer, so I'm hoping he'll help. Without him, I probably won't be able to do this. Maybe I should get around to asking him...?)

Here are the main features I wanted out of this pedalboard:

Fit all my pedals, with room for 1 or 2 more in the future.
    Fit my soon to be arriving MB200 on a riser for home/headphone practice with the board.
    Have some storage underneath (capable of holding a powerstrip)
    A travel case.

I've currently got all of those included in my designs. Here's how I have them implemented (in case my blueprints don't make it clear):

Storage Underneath: The mounting surface will have a hinge on the lower end, allowing the entire surface to lift up and store items.
    Fit my pedals: all of mine fit, and I should be able to squeeze in the Fdeck I'm looking at getting in the near future. The MB200 will fit on the 8x8 riser on the top left of the board.
    Travel case: It is designed to latch together to make a sort of suitcase for travel.

OK gentlemen, let me know what you think! Is there anything I should add, change, remove etc.? Do you have plans that were amazing I could use? Any specific handle I should buy for the "suitcase" handle part, or for the latches that will actually hold it together in travel? Where would be a good place to get an electrical outlet to fit in the hole on the side? Or should I just run a standard pedalboard and an extension cord? Is there some plug I could put in there during travel? Any and all comments and assistance are welcome. Thanks in advance, everybody!

Attached Files:

2. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Note: the big rectangles on the layout view are my current pedals. I was just seeing how I could arrange them. The large rectangle on the top left is the riser for the MB200 I mentioned. I'm thinking I could put a hole or two in the front of the riser support and easily slip my Fdeck in there, since I shouldn't need to adjust that very often. Also, in case it's not clear, the 3in labeled portions are wood slats, with the 1in portions being empty space for cables etc. The 1/2in parts are wood supports, keeping the board upright. The slats will NOT be attached in any way to the outside supports, but will probably be glued to the two inner supports. The "support" (1/2in) in the very middle was erased, but still shows up a bit. Ignore it. The dotted half circles on the side view are holes that I'm thinking of putting in the two inner supports for ease of cable routing and storage etc. I think that's it.
  3. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

I also made my own to avoid cost, its rather more basic, in fact its very basic, a rectangle of wood with fabric stapled over the top and velcro tape strips, at the moment it holds my 8 pedals quite well and theres room for more.

clearly yours is going to take a bit more thought and design than that, im just saying the idea is a good one :p your sketches seem legit and with a bit of effort it looks like you'll have an awesome pedalboard.

ill try post some pics of mine as soon as i work out how one does that and in the meantime, all the best
  4. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Thanks! I have 2 rows of pedals, so I tried to have a raised surface to make the second row more accessible.
  7. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
    I did the same... The best way to reach the secnd row. I built 3 pedalboards and all of them had that "ramp" shape
  8. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

The most common Velcro comes in 2" wide pieces. You're going to be attaching it to a 3" wide board. Something to think about....

I know you can get any size Velcro, but it may not be as easy as just going to the hardware store.
  9. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Didn't know that. Good point! That's actually what I have from a previous project. Something to think about. Thanks!
  10. Michedelic

Michedelic

I just came across this:

Now, I'm an Ikea junkie, but I found this hilarious. Plus, he gets his wife to build it!
  11. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I've seen some of those theeads, but have no Ikea here. Plus, I'd have to rebuild them how I want. I can get the big ones shipped for $30, so depending on wood, that might be cheapest still. I'll see.
  12. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Ok, talked with dad last night and retooled some stuff. Gonna be a bit simpler, no hinges or "suitcase" at the moment. Might actually buy/find an old suitcase to hold it during travel, though. Gonna work on it more today. I'll keep you posted!
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Got a handsaw?

I built mine stepped and angled two tiers, one flat, one angled so it's rigid as a 4x2. Two runners and 2 tiers from 1/2" ply. 8 screws.
  14. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I was trying to incorporate travel and a power strip, plus the possibility of storage underneath. Currently, I should have all but travel. Travel is still possible, but considering other options. Might just put it in an old suitcase, or a plastic tub of some sort. Function over form at the moment.
  15. stinky634

stinky634 Supporting Member

Just make the specs close to an existing Pedaltrain design and you can find the hard case after. I made this from wood at Home Depot, I had them cut it to 16=17 inches, I forget, its just smaller than a PT JR (which was unintentional, just a coincidence)

They usually will cut pieces of wood for you, although I did see a sign that said no cuts smaller than 18" but the guy did it for me anyway.

So piece of shelf wood, then a smaller 1x2 or something with a couple of screws. If you need a riser, get another piece of shelf and cut it in half or find one thats the right size, then screw it right on top, or even velcro it for extra customization.

The velcro cost more than the materials to make this board.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Here's a Velcro alternate idea. I've been using 3M dual lock, it seems easier to pull pedals off than standard Velcro. I had horizontal line similar to the Velcro example shown here, but one night I had my pedals loose on a stage and the dual lock gripped the carpet really well. So I took some dual lock to Home Depot and tested it on their Capet samples and found the the low loop exterior carpet worked great, so now I have a completely covered board (carpet stapled down on wood) where I can reconfigure my pedals anyway I want. And the pedals stay put but are easy to pull off when needed. And you could poke holes in it to route cables under your board if you have a space between the board/floor.
  17. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

That's a great idea! Mine looks like being about 16-17 x 24 right now. Time to see which pedaltrain case would fit...
  18. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

So the main portion is finished! I'm going to assemble it tomorrow, and have pics up then hopefully. It ended up being 16.5 x 24, plus height, which I'll measure tomorrow when everything is mounted on top. It should fit in a plastic tub I saw for sale at the grocery store today. It was 24.5 x 17.5 x 7 (or maybe 7.5?) But the point being, I could probably get a "travel case" for this pretty dang cheap, and that case could hold some other small things too if necessary. Very excited, and this took much less time that I originally thought. See you guys tomorrow!
  19. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Pics coming soon, but it's finished as of now. Been busy rocking out with it this week. I've got it holding 7 pedals, 2 of which are fairly large, and an MB200 for a sickeningly small but destructive portable/practice rig. I could probably fit 2 more standard sized pedals on if I wanted to as well. It also stores MORE than I expected, so that's a bonus!