Making sure you hear your amp.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by msaone, Sep 14, 2013.

1. msaone

msaone

It's been a blast getting back into live playing with one exception. I set that bass can on the floor, and that's the last i hear from it.

I've decided to change this before the next show. At first I was gonna add another 410 can but for now I'm gonna build a stand that will get my amp up I. The air.

The plan is to make a vertical X 36" h.
    This should put my 410 can right at chest/face level. Can't wait for the next show. I've based my design on a worn station I've used at work. It will be sturdy and fold flat for shipping.

Please show me the things you do in an effort to hear your bass on stage.

More on my design to follow.
  2. JR Bass 62

JR Bass 62 Supporting Member

I have the same problem with my LDS 15/6.Let me know how it works for you..
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just tilt my small cabs back when I use them. Found a piece of 2x2 in the hardware store parking lot, painted it black...tilt-back.
  4. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

I personally like throwing my amp and cab up on a chair unless I'm gigging my ACC 361. My markbass 12" sits perfectly up on a chair and then i can hear it great. Sometimes ive found that tilting the cab back decreases what the audience can hear if you arent into the PA
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aprod

aprod

7. d_town

d_town

I use my 15 as a prop.. That way my sound is at my shoulders, not the floor and if i've got the room to use it, i plug in the 15..
  8. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Another vote for a tiltback option here.

I think this thread would do better in the Amps forum - I'll move it there.
  9. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

+1!
    Works great for large (and heavy) cabs like 410's: sturdy and stable but light, correct size and height, folds flat, and cheap.
    Find it ugly? Drape a black cloth over it.
    Nowadays I stack two 210's vertically though, which is the perfect volume/hearing/transportability solution for me.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You can lift it as high as you like if it's only your monitor and the PA is providing the bass to the room. Otherwise you'll want to limit the lift to 2ft or your lows will be decimated from uncoupling with the floor.

I tilt back my monitor 2x10 on a foldaway cardboard wedge. If I was Jimmy I'd shoot it with some black spraypaint but it's dark enough under there with stage lighting.
  12. Arjank

Arjank

;)
    Can be put on the floor for maximum coupling and because of the tilted baffle dispersion is great.
  13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last gig I went DI from the pedalboard and used a small 12" EBS Drome combo at my feet, tilted up and back at me. The others in the band heard what they needed from the monitors and leakage from the PA speakers. I heard myself very well from the combo and when I cranked it a bit more - guitar player upped his volume - I don't think that affected the FOH sound. Other times I've placed my amp stage left, pointing in towards the stage, that works too and gives the other band members a bit more bass without interfering too much with the FOH sound.

When using my bigger amp as backline I usually stand quite close to it, so no problem hearing myself. Only issue with that is I have a tendency to not dial up the bottom end enough, I get too much low end where I stand, but I try to compensate by stepping out a bit and listen at sound check.
  14. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

I stack my cabs and amp on top of the multicore drum, it's a secure platform and it also saves on stage space.
  15. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Another vote for tilt back designs...use them all the time these days for small stages :)
  16. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

My band uses a large diaphragm condensor for vocals at center stage. I wanted to echo the above as a side note (no pun intended)--when my bass amp is in a traditional backline position it plays havoc with the condensor mic.
  17. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah, I also prefer to tilt rather than elevate - these days, I'm using a 215 most of the time, so it isn't an issue...

- georgestrings
  18. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I raise my cabs on every gig, using at any given time, the examples already talked about. +1 on the two foot limit. I cut down the Quik Lok speaker stand to 18", and , if not using that, I use one of the tilt back stands available that raise the cab about a foot or so. I'm just one of those guys that has to hear every note I play, or I'm not comfortable.
  19. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Took an old rubber floor mat, rolled it up, put some red duct tape around the edges....bam a wedge to tilt your cab. Its nice cause its free, nobody ever sees it, and you can adjust the tilt by moving it forward or backward under the cab. Its also indestructible.
  20. sears

sears

I wish I'd tilted mine yesterday
  21. jessicabass

jessicabass

I use a GK MB212 and basically all i do is push about 10 feet behind me and use a 25 foot cable and i can hear it just perfect.