Making the best of 60's Traynor Bass Mate YBA-2

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassCanadabass, Dec 20, 2012.

1. bassCanadabass

bassCanadabass

Hi,

I have a 60' Bass Mate YBA-2 (1x15 combo) that I have some questions about.

First, it has two inputs. Channel II seems to be a treble boost, is that correct?

Secondly, I'm interested in installing some outputs (balanced DI & ext speaker). Has anyone done this? Do you think the balanced DI would make it a good tube preamp for recording?

Thirdly, I'm interested in any mods that would improve the sound. I'm mainly looking to use it for recording, and the odd low volume gig.

Fourth, I'm looking for mic suggestions or placement suggestions. Any tips for recording this amp, tube amps, of 15 speakers.

Fifth, it only has two knobs (volume and tone). Do you have any suggestions for tonal variation? I have a sansamp bass driver, Sadowski preamp, and Aphex Bass Xciter. Any tips for using these with the Bass Mate?

Thanks you! Any suggestions/info would be much appreciated!
  2. chadds

chadds

It's a terrible POS.
    Avoid all problems, mail it to my address immediately.:)
  3. bassCanadabass

bassCanadabass

Haha, its pretty cool. It has a lot of clarity for a 15 (not overly bassy). I'm taking it to my tech to get rid of some buzzing, and I thought while its was there I may have him tweak it.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't install anything extra on that beauty! Anything you can do with it is better done with outboard gear. For example, you can get a DI that does speaker level DI for cheap and run it in between the speaker out and the speaker. You might have to jury rig some cables together to do it, but it's totally worth it.

Mic suggestions...EV RE-20, Heil PR40, Sennheiser MD 421, Beyer M-88, and I haven't tried it yet, but this AKG P2 looks really good for bass amps and only costs $100. Or you can take a Shure SM 57 or 58 and blend it with a DI feed for better lows. That can sound quite sweet. Place it right in the middle of the cone for most brightness, or off to the side for darker tones.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassCanadabass

bassCanadabass

Very cool suggestion Jimmy, thanks so much! I'll look into a speaker level DI and those mics.

I've heard some people don't like the original RSC speaker, do you think it is worth replacing?
  7. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

I agree that you should not do any tweaks on a classic piece like that. Use a Bass Mid Control pedal (BMC) for instance as an active tone control instead. Tonehammer pedal as a DI maybe?
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Got no clue about the RSC speaker, but if it works and takes what you can give it, I see no need to replace it. Don't need it to be loud to be a recording amp.