Making the Best of a Bad Situation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mellowinman, Apr 7, 2014.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    As some of you will know, my father passed away on March 13th, in The Villages, Florida, where he lived with his third wife.

He emigrated to the United States back in 1963, just in time for me to be the first US Citizen in the family.

My sister had a memorial for him, at the church where I was baptized, in Minnesota.

I went up there, and saw some family, and old friends, and we had a lovely time. I will post a few vids from the event, once I get them done. I just got back today, and here are some photos.

My wife did not come along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. squirefan

squirefan

Very nice pics.

Those get-togethers are therapeutic in sommber times.
  3. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    The last pic is me with my mum and sister. Mum has gotten some dementia, and one minute, it's just like talking with the woman I've known all my life, and the next, it's like the Twilight Zone.

I was really hurt by that, and my friends and family really did a good job of helping me through it.

As for dad, he always did like it when I hung out with pretty girls.
  4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

were you here for our wonderful freakish snowjob on friday ? its been 60 the last two days.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah. It was nice to see some real snow, measured in FEET.
  7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

well, were glad to be rid of it. My back yard is nearly free of the white stuff already.
  8. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

Congrats for making it what it was. My grandmother passed away last year, the whole family met up in the home town and once we pushed all the tee-totalers out on the night before the ceremony the rest of the family had as good of a wake as we could in a place that had been voted Dry up until a few years ago. It helps a lot, and it was nice to see folks I hadn't seen in several years if not more than a decade.

Peace,
    Greg
  9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Welcome back McMellow...you should have gone in drag (again) ;)

If it's not too personal a question, how come wifey didn't come? Just asking, but you don't have to answer.
  10. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    Are you kidding me? With all those hot chicks?

Seriously, we have a lot of animals, with no one to feed and care for them, and I was gone almost a whole week.

I think she also kind of wanted to give me some space on this. She knew I hadn't seen many of my friends for quite a number of years. I would have loved to have brought her, and showed her off, although some of the reunion aspect of it would've been a bit boring for her.

Those guys I'm sitting at the table with talked about stuff like, "remember the time we were out on I-494 racing our cars at well over 100 mph at 3:00 am while we were supposed to be working..."
  11. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

mellowinman:

great sendoff. Im guessing your Dad is very proud. I know i would be.

Celebrate the wonderful memories we had of the ones closest to us.

Salute!
  12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Just an idea, but maybe try and make a family get together a yearly thing.

It's something we started doing recently after noticing that we only ever saw some members of the family at funerals, it's all too easy to let life get in the way!
  13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

give me a shout next time your in town, I'll buy ya a beer.
  14. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
  15. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
  16. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree.