Making the jump from 4 to 6 - Need more options in the <$800 range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Dec 7, 2013.

Which six-stringer?

1. Yamaha RBXJM (2 pickups)

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Yamaha RBXJM2 (1 pickup)

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Carvin LB76

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. Ibanez BTB676

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Carrots/Something else

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

I've finally decided for certain to upgrade to a six-string bass. I'm discussing with my parents, who are getting this as a Christmas present. We've decided our budget to be generally under $800. On the upper end of that is a John Myung sig model (the second one), that's on sale in the classifieds for $700. Lower down we've found another JM sig (the first one) for $600, and a used Carvin LB76 for $500. I'm looking for other options in this range.

I would prefer basses with a good cutting midrange similar to a P with steels, as I rather like the way my current bass, a Squier P, sits in my band's rough mix with fairly dead LaBella Steel Rounds. I know part of that's in the strings, but part's in the bass too.

I've also given strong consideration to the Ibanez BTB basses, and might get one of those if it falls in my price range. I've tried and Ibanez SR506, and I did not like anything about it. I did play a BTB sixer, the "Premium" model, and really liked it, so if the 676 is like that then we might be in business.

I'm including a poll with this with the four basses discussed here that I'm considering. I'd like opinions on all four as well as any other sixers I might be able to find in that range. How is the Carvin's Low B? How are the JM sig models? I know they have tight string spacing, but I could get used to it if the sound is nice.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I also want a bass that "plays nice" with effects, particularly distortion, as this is intended to be a bass for the next five years or so, and I may add effects or amp distortion down the line to fill in the sound in my band.

EDIT2: Better idea of the sound I want, based on sounds I like and would like something similar to: Geddy's Rickenbacker tone on Caress of Steel and Exit Stage Left, John Myung's tones on "Metropolis 2000" and "Dream Theater" (the new self-titled), John Wetton's "Red" tone. To a lesser degree Geddy's Wal tone, though I know that's pretty hard to get.

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

The BTB676's that I have played have been more mid-forward and not as bright as the SR506. Not nearly as open and organic as the Premium with Nordstrand pickups.
    I haven't played the John Myung basses, but you may like the JM2 with its single humbucker.
    There are other basses in your price range as well, like the LTD B-416, or a used MTD Kingston Z6.

3. Hamlet7768

That's to consider. I like John Myung's tone with both of the sig basses (though I REALLY like his tone right now with the Bongo, but that's way out of our range). What about the single humbucker do you think I would like specifically? I'm just curious why you mention it.

4. Hamlet7768

Bumping to add a new option to the game (and hopefully the poll). I found an Ibanez "BTB106E" at a Guitar Center pretty close to some family we're seeing right round Christmas. It's priced at $599, which seems pretty good. The only problem is I can't definitively identify it. The flamed maple top seems indicative of the 1406E, which would mean that the dude putting it on the site made an obvious typo. This makes the deal appear even sweeter, but the pickups on this bass don't match the ones shown on Ibanez's site (no pole pieces), and the flamed top is put over part of the neck-thru section. So I can't tell what exactly it is, but it looks like a sweet deal. Definitely going to play it first, but I've got high hopes.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I had an LB76 for about 13yrs and hated it. It mostly sat in the closet unused because the sound lacked any character or balls no matter how you set the eq, my Musicmans and Spectors absolutely crushed it. I'd never recommend one of those, sorry.

7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I figured since you like your P so much, a single pickup bass might appeal to you.

8. Hamlet7768

Alright, the decision's been made. We went with the Ibanez "BTB106E", which turned out to be a BTB1006E. Will post pics with its own thread when it comes in!