Man...I wish old school SVT-2 pro's would come down in price.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TUEP, Jan 23, 2013.

1. TUEP

TUEP

I always wanted that amp, and did a search on them and even old school ones from the 80's are still like $1200. :(

That is the amp that was used by my favorite bassist Mike Starr on the Facelift, Sap, and Dirt albums. I always wanted one and they are still a bit to expensive for me. Dang it!

I would figure they would come down some in price.
  2. joelb79

joelb79

I saw one broken for under $400 here on talkbass. With a competent tech and some extra funds you might have a working head for $400+350 in tubes + labor. Thats under a grand easy.

All tube heads with that nice a preamp are never going to be cheap. You and me both wish.
  3. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've always been interested in it, mainly because of Commerford and all his gainy/gritty tones. Once I discovered the Bass 400 (which I load with 6550's or KT88's) I stopped worrying about it.

One second thought- Best rock bass tone I ever heard live was some Fender P-Bass with a pick, SVT-2, Ampeg 8x10. Just had that OD sparkle in the mix. The band was Chief Beef bass out of Phoenix area. Their recordings don't capture the grit, but live it was beautiful.
  4. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I miss my old SVT-II for that sparkle with a Roto 66 loaded P Bass. I sold it for $800. Looking at the market, I could've probably pulled another $200 out of it. Looking at my experience, if I had learned to use the EQ properly I doubt I would have sold it.
  5. niki z

niki z Supporting Member

Keep on the lookout, I know I've seen more than one on here for sale for less than a $1000. But then I guess there's shipping :meh:

Not sure where you live, but I always look in cities around me and factor in the gas to see if it's worth it.

Killer amp, good luck!
  6. Loki182

Loki182

Media:
    and it's now happily splitting it's time on top of either a late 70s ampeg810 or bergie nv610 :bassist: