1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Man of Steel

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 13, 2012.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

I've got to admit, I'm pretty psyched for this after seeing the second preview. This one seems to bring in some of the complexity of being Superman on earth, and being the parents of Clark Kent. This could make up for Superman Returns, which I didn't like.

I can't tell who the villain is. Seems well-casted in terms of the Kents...but if that person in the preview was Lois Lane, I don't know about her.

Thoughts?
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

The Swedish word for "Super" is " Fart". So in Sweden the blockbuster will be titled Fartman.

You ever notice that everyone's first name starts with the same consonant sound as their last name? Well, maybe not Jimmy Olson, but Clark Kent, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, J. Jonah Jameson..........
  3. smperry

Yeah my faves growing up were: Clark Kent, Peter Parker, and Bruce Banner.
  4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I think that's Amy Adams, probably playing Lana Lang, who was Clark's first girlfriend. I didn't see a clear indication of a villain either, they're probably trying to keep a lid on that. Given the general public's lack of extensive knowledge regarding Superman's rogues gallery I'm sure it'll be Luthor.
  5. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

But wasn't Jonah Jameson from spiderman?
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    So I just checked IMDb... Amy Adams is indeed Lois Lane (miscast if you ask me), and here's the plot synopsis... Spoiler alert...
    In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and valued character of all time. Clark Kent/Kal-El (Henry Cavill) is a twenty-something journalist who feels isolated by his powers beyond imagination. Transported years ago to Earth from Krypton, a highly advanced, distant planet were his father Jor-El (Russell Crowe) is their head scientist and council member, Clark struggles with the ultimate question 'what is my destiny? now on Earth and shaped by the values of his adoptive parents Martha (Diane Lane) and Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner). Earth is under attack from General Zod (Michael Shannon), Faora (Antje Traue) and their army of Robots from his previous planet Krypton wanting to destroy Superman and his family both here on Earth and Krypton to ensure he cannot reclaim head council on Krypton, with Earth and Krypton in need of stability and support, Clark must become the Man he was destined to become and protect the people on Earth he now loves and shine as the world's beacon of hope as the Man of Steel
  7. smperry

Plot sounds good to me. Who doesn't like Zod?

yes, the Daily Planet has Perry White.
  8. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I'm not a big Superman fan but Mike Shannon as General Zod will get me in the theatre.
  9. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

If this movie is a success, and they make a sequel, I think the villian should be Brainiac . If handled right, he could be a great villain, I don't know why they have never used him yet.
  10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Ive never been a big Superman fan, myself, but the preview looked better than any other SM movie Ive seen.
    The villian is General Zod, played by Michael Shannon. Lois Lane is played by Amy Adams.

Thats Spiderman... but, Stan Lee is known for giving his character that double consonant names like that.
  11. Richland123

Richland123

What about Mr. Mxyzptlk?
  12. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

I saw trailer #2 and have to say I am excited. As a kid, I was a big fan of the Superman movies, loved the comics, and Superman remains probably my favorite superhero of all time.

This one is gonna be good.

And you know they'll make it a trilogy, with Doomsday as the villain in the last movie.
  13. smperry

Completely agreed - Zod, Brainiac, and then Doomsday would be fantastic.
  14. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

I love Supes, always did even as a little kid first reading comics. He always found a way to win (and even cheat a human's death). I'm beyond pumped for this movie. I got a little short of breath the first time I saw the original trailer for the new flick in theaters lol.
    I have no idea with some of the snoozers Marvel has put out why DC haven't done a Superman: Doomsday movie.
  15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I hope it's good.

Superman is a character that has been widely butchered in the movies.
  16. electracoyote

electracoyote

Which trailer #2 are you guys watching? I want to be on the same page, can someone please post a link? Tanks.
  17. hover

hover

It's right on YouTube's front page.
  18. electracoyote

electracoyote

Ah...can't be any simpler than that. Thank you.

Just in case it moves:

19. C.Linton

They even had a bit on "Big Bang Theory" about that. Raj read off a list of names like that, which Stan Lee came up with, and it was really a pretty long list.
  20. C.Linton

They even had a bit on "Big Bang Theory" about that. Raj read off a list of names like that which Stan Lee came up with, and it was really a pretty long list.