Manny's Music (NYC) closed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by taphappy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Not sure how many of you fine folks have been there, but. Didn't see a thread about this, and at least to myself (and other New York musicians), this is big stuff.

Music Row looks like it's going down. It used to be that 48th between 6th and 7th was EVERYTHING. Manny's Music, Sam Ash, Rudy's, Alex, Stuyvesant, We Buy Guitars, 48th Street Custom...a bunch got bought out, Manny's was closed down in May. Now the Row's primed for getting smoked completely.

Personally, this is as big (or bigger) as CBGBs biting the big one. To get an idea of the history of this place, check out:

http://mannysmusic.ning.com/photo/albums/from-the-wall-of-fame-by-holly

Hit the slideshow. That's 100 of about something like 3000 photos that were up in there, mostly autographed.

Won't matter to most, but. Had to vent. What a waste.
  2. chicago_mike

chicago_mike Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    isnt all of that sam ash stores now? Have been for a while I think...
  3. vibhas_2310

vibhas_2310

4. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Yeah, I'm coming in a bit late - I'm living out in AZ now. Ash bought out Manny's back in '99, but was still keeping it open. They finally just put it down. Other ones across the street have been gone for a bit, not sure about 48th Street Custom, might've moved up past Broadway.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tat2jim

tat2jim

My friends and I hung-out just about every weekend on West 48th St in the mid-70s. I bought my first couple of Basses at WE BUY. The rent on those stores must be rediculous. Sad indeed. :crying:
  7. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I used to work in NYC where I'd walk from Penn Station to 5th Ave/52nd St. Like a moth to a flame, I'd always have to walk down 48th St. Twice a day.

That did more to add GAS than the internet ever has.
  8. Seidell

Seidell

Yeah every store is Sam Ash now....meh

Rudy's is still there though, I was just there last weekend
  9. chokeslam512

chokeslam512

I don't know much of anything about the history but there are several M&P stores going the way of the Dodo here in KC as well. I find it a little interesting that most of the smaller independent stores do not have Sunday hours. Guitar Center does... If you are in business to support hobbyists, why not be open on Sundays when they have time to go in to your shop?

This is by no means the norm but just my experience and situation.
  10. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

Music store? Who still goes to those . . . :D

tbh 48th street lost it's appeal to me long ago. Ash has mostly crap at ground level and you need to go through a sales weasel to get at anything good and Rudy's, well they are just rude there, and the place is usually crammed w/ people anyway to do any real testing (actually had a guy throw me and a buddy out of the amp room so some douche could get in - my buddy had 3g's burning a hole in his pocket)

I just got a set of Fralin's from Carmine Guitars in the village - guy was really nice, seemed like a cool shop... always wanted to go to the Hartke lounge too!
  11. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    not a rocket scientist, but I play one on TV
    Sad about 48th Street. When I first started visiting NYC in the early '80s, living there briefly in '85, I made regular treks to Music Row, although I never made any major purchases there. My buddies and I ran into Les Paul at one of the stores there once - can't recall which one. He was great - shook hands and let us take pics.
  12. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

I'm told he was very approachable, and would talk shop to anyone willing to yap about it. . . i'm bummed i never had the honor.
  13. electracoyote

electracoyote

I'm glad I bought a Manny's t-shirt last time I was in NYC. That's all that's left now. Very sad indeed.
  14. dalkowski

dalkowski

As I sit here wearing my Matt Umanov t-shirt, I mourn.
  15. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Disclosures:
    Hartke Systems
    Easy there guys…48th Street is alive and well and it’s not going anywhere, I'm there three days a week at the new "Hartke's 48th Street Bass Lounge" located in the former Manny's Music building. It's the largest bass store in the history of NYC with hundreds of bass guitars and amplifiers.

Also located in the former Manny's building is the new Sam Ash guitar store. The Manny's building is now guitars, acoustic guitars, basses and amplifiers exclusively. There are more guitars and basses new and vintage then have ever been on the street before. The vintage instrument collection is stunning.

Rudy's Music, Alex Music and Rod Baltimore's brass and woodwinds store are all still there on 48th and doing fine.

As for the history of the 48th Street it is something that everyone who works on that magic street can’t help but respect. Everyday when I walk into the Manny's building I cross over the Manny's name still embedded in stone at the buildings entrance and when you walk through that door you are greeted by the "Mayor of 48th Street" Ian Goldrich grandson of Manny Goldrich and son of Henry Goldrich. Ian ran Manny’s for years and he still runs the "Manny’s" store and all of the other Sam Ash Stores on 48th street.

48th Street is the same bustling street it was when I was just a kid buying and selling guitars and basses there. And it's still an endless parade of the most famous musicians from around the world as it always was. Just recently Prince, Stevie Wonder members of Bon Jovi, Springsteen, and Aerosmith have all been in to hang and shop there. Jack Bruce is coming to hang out with me at the bass lounge in few weeks.

48th Street is better than ever both in spirit and selection and it's many of the same guys main who built that history. I know because I’m there many hours every week and the energy level on 48th Street is higher than ever.

Why don't you all come on over and see for yourself, one visit is worth a thousand words. Ian and I would be happy to show you around. I think some of you guys are living in the past and it's obvious by this thread that you haven't been there since the rebirth of 48th Street last July.
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

Media:
    hey larry! thanks for chiming in. :hyper:
  17. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    not a rocket scientist, but I play one on TV
    Great to know, and thanks for the detailed update. I've not had the chance - or $$ - to visit NYC since 07. All this will definitely be on my radar if/when I get a chance to get back there.

18. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Wait...what?!?!?!?!

Edit:
    Oh. Whew.
  19. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Affected by the Internet?

Reminds me of the first time I overheard someone in a guitar store say, "But Musiciansfriend is selling it for $____."

It would have been nice to visit the old, 'music row' on our next trip to the city...
  20. odin70

odin70

Thanks for the info. Im going to NY this sunday so you will definitely see me on 48th street monday morning :)
  21. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire Supporting Member

I bought my first acoustic guitar at Manny's in 1976. I was at the USCG's training center (electronics school) on Governors Island. Had to carry that damn guitar around all day, it was a Guild. I played 4 or 5 and bought the one I liked.

Haven't been back to NY since.