Mantic Beef Bag

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jan 30, 2014.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I like the name anyway.

3. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

4. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    DOD Meatbox clone. Much discussed, not previously seen in the wild.

8. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

1. So cool!
    2. How do I get one?

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Played with it today :D very very good, sounds like what I remember my Meatbox sounding like but hopefully I can do a side by side soon.

Will crank it up tomorrow and destroy some speakers

10. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

I wish there was an accurate way to demo these pedals. So much of their awesomeness comes from being in the room with them and feeling the air move. I'm curious how different it really is from the meatbox or the Hulk in real life.

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I see Juan aldrete post pics of this on his Instagram here and there. At least j know what it is now, thanks. I've never used a meatbox but Juan has always sung it's praises and I'd like to try one in person as I know that you can't really hear a good representation of this pedal on a YouTube vid. Maybe if I plugged it into my amp. Hmmmm

12. Diaz

Diaz

Bump because i'm also interested to see if anyone compares it to the original meatbox or their density hulk.

13. K2000

K2000

Somebody should compare this with the original and the Density Hulk.

14. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

whats the difference with the hulk?

15. bass.bert

bass.bert

...not an in depth review, but here they are featured both:

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Every time I tried to forward it and listen Juan was talking is there a point where he's not?.

17. MacheteSteve

MacheteSteve

I'd definitely be interested to know what its like in comparison with the density hulk, I'm thinking about buying one and am leaning more towards the density hulk at the moment.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Ok so had a good few hours with this last night sadly, I was using a new put together rig for one bad, which consisted of a Selmer Treble & Bass 50 mk3 into a Matamp 8x10.

There just isn't the headroom or low end on this amp setup to really enjoy the pedal, I mean it does some nice things but not the room moving rumble.

moral of the story is don't make a 50w valve head from the 60's drive 8 speakers and then try and make it do some sub 35hz malarkey.

Then on to next band practice and a fuse blew in my amp, great start, hadn't even plugged in the Beef Bag yet, but that did mean I got to plug into the PA with our 800w 1x18 power sub :D

It just sounded great, the smoothest octaver I've ever had (I know that's not what it is but you can get that vibe). I found myself reworking bits of songs so I could play them an octave up so that I could throw this into the mix.

Tonally it's quieter (noise wise) than the Meatbox I had but it's got that gnarly vibe to it, I can't imagine with how much I love this that I'd like the Hulk to much, I expect it would be a bit too clean for my grindy sensibilities.

In terms of clips, it's really hard to record these pedals they are so low, they are just moving air and shaking walls, and it just doesn't come across when sat at home.

I've got some gigs coming up where I'll have a nice big PA to use so it's definitely going on the board and I can't wait to shake some rooms

19. adamsmatthewj

Great to hear! I knew they'd nail it. They seem to really know their circuit-business over at Mantic. And let's be honest, for the current prices (and unreliability) of the original DOD MEATBOXes, the Bag or Hulk seems like a better option to me.

Anyone have any experience with the mini hulk? It only has a dry MIX knob, a 35hz knob, and a 60hz knob. Seems like it would be a super versatile idea when playing clean (or stacked with other pedals) to add sub-craziness without coloring the tone. Much different idea than a meatbox, but interesting possibilities!

20. adamsmatthewj

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT!!!

Earthquaker is coming out with a sub!?
    DOD is reissuing the meatbox?!

My heart sings.
    My credit card weeps.
    My FOH trembles.

21. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Yeah it's an interesting time, I've not tried the Hulk but I enjoy this a lot but I was a fan of the Meatbox my friends with the Hulk are a little less so, they prefer the clean tone.

Malekko is also working on a meatbox clone or sub harmonic synth I believe.

Live I'm sorted with the Beef bag but i will continue to try octavers and subs in fact I have a Maestro Octave Box coming shortly :D

Re the Mini Hulk I'd be interested to see how it stacks against my Dod FX10 as a bass boost