1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mantic density hulk (DOD Meatbox Clone)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by willbassyeah, Nov 4, 2012.

1. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

So i found this pedal right here:

their price seems fine, and i need a sub pedal now. Its just that the company is still new and i am located far from US to take the risk of buying the pedal. Any kind soul who is willing to try the pedal? heh
    GAS attack...

2. MrPierre

MrPierre

3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

yah me too almost press the checkout button but too scared if there is anything wrong with the pedal, it will be a hassle for me because of international shipping

4. avvie

avvie

Great concept and I hope it takes off, but he's gonna have to work on that customer interface a bit. He's got a $500 glitch pedal on his site with no more than 15 seconds of bad video to sell it...and it's just turning knobs on a board.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MAMMOTHvolume

MAMMOTHvolume

agree, terrible website

7. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

The photo of the small are of internals exposed in that "glitch" pedal show me what looks to be a radio shack plastic 1/4" jack... I guess that was just the prototype though? And he was just turning knobs on other pedals :confused:

I would have to see some gut shots of the Density Hulk before I was entirely sold. The sound clips/ videos DO sound great. Very smmoooooooth. 1590BBT seems like it could be overkill in size. DOD made it in a really small box :p

8. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

I'm curious, but the $45 for standard shipping turned me off. Where is this place?

9. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Not sure seems to be somewhere in us, the pedal sounds great but I just can't pull the trigger here. I found out about this pedal on another "meatbox" thread, the maker of the pedal commented on that thread.

Just checked at the other thread ,his name in talkbass is ManticFX

10. The EH Man

The EH Man Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    Is there a market for these? I was thinking about making some in a 1590BB sized box (1590NS). I bought a quantity of the original Subharmonic chips.

11. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Oh, there's a market all right! :D

12. The EH Man

Disclosures:
    I guess I'll start on my pcb design, then. Probably make a lot of the components SMD to save room.

13. insomniac2295

insomniac2295

Where'd you find those chips?

14. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

well pm me if you make 1 if it is less than 250 after international shipping I will buy it.

15. The EH Man

Disclosures:
    Got them from a supplier. Hopefully they're the real thing.

16. insomniac2295

insomniac2295

No way! :rollno:

17. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

Gotta love the disclaimer on the website:

:bassist:

18. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

well did you see the other demo on their website on how the pedal make the speaker work? i dont think their disclaimers is a joke.

19. Cfredd33

Cfredd33

i be thinkin bout it too. no wut im saying. but **** looks harder then one of them average fuzz pedals. keep us updated tho foo. How much $$ you gun charge for the schemizzle? might be interested in buying that from yo site.

20. ManticFX

ManticFX

Hello all,

Just stumbled across this thread and thought I'd answer some of your questions:

We're a brand new start-up hailing from Denver, CO. Apologies for our website, it's brand new and very DIY (we're not web developers). Haven't had a chance to populate the blog yet because we've been so busy filling Density Hulk orders (all international so far so the currently listed "standard shipping" price is shipping to anywhere outside of the US- meaning a US order would be under $250) working closely with many artists (including Juan Alderete) for custom order work, prototypes, and winning the 2012 Moog Circuit Bending Challenge.

The Gritt pedal PROTOTYPE was made using recycled parts and we have only made 1 of those units post-prototype because it is custom order only. It costs way too much time and money to build and has unnecessary amount of options for it to appeal to any market. Thus, we thought it would be cool to use as last minute blog fodder before heading to Asheville for Moogfest. And actually, it sounds quite bad ass, just not heard through a camera microphone

As for the Density Hulk, there is no expense spared on this thing, whatsoever.

It sounds better because we use better components and spent months tweaking the PCB design to get exactly what we were listening for. We use a larger enclosure for many reasons with the primary being it allows us to harness the PCB independently of the chassis in a sort of 'floating' design that eliminates the transfer of vibration. Sure, we could redesign our beautiful sounding PCB so that it could be ruthlessly squeezed into a 1590 with cheap aluminum standoffs for the sake a few square inches if you'd want us to. We just wanted to make the best sounding, most durable, and visually striking sub pedal we could come up with.

If anyone has any other questions at all, feel free to message us directly from our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/ManticConceptual?ref=hl

Thanks for the interest,

MANTIC

21. EricssonB

EricssonB Supporting Member

What? Denver? No way. I follow your Facebook page from both my personal account and Tanzen, my band. I'm over in Aurora. Do you guys have a shop set up? I'd totally be interested in grabbing one of these once I grab some money -- save on shipping!