Maple fretboard & Rosewood neck bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anonymous7, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Anonymous7

Anonymous7

Has any one ever tried this combo? As little as I believe in tone wood, how would it sound? Would it be heavy? Pics?
  2. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

I believe EBMM put out some rosewood necks, but not with a maple board.
  3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Is rosewood stiff enough/stable enough to be the neck wood?
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I know EBMM has made some solid rosewood necks - a fellow TBer has one that looks killer!!!

- georgestrings
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

RW is not a good choice for a neck. It is not as stable as maple or even mahogany. I would reverse it.
  7. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

See there is a reason things are done the way they are-not just because it 's always been that way or to resist change.
  8. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

I bet PRS would do it. They make some incredible solid rosewood necks. Heck, Fender did too in the late '60s on the Rosewood Telecaster.
  9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Rosewood is fine for making necks. I had a Warmoth rosewood/rosewood neck and it was fantastic. The bare rosewood back of the neck felt great and the neck itself was very stable. The main reason more necks are not rosewood is that it is expensive and harder to work than maple.
  10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

There are many varieties of rosewood, just as there are several types of maple. The cost of a rosewood neck would certainly be high, but I see no reason it couldn't or shouldn't be done with the right piece of rosewood.
  11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I think you have that backwards - it probably isn't used for necks very often, due to expense...

- georgestrings
  12. line6man

line6man

Warmoth doesn't do Maple fretboards on non-Maple necks (With the exception of a few one-off Walnut/Maple necks.) for two reasons. Firstly, the Maple is prone to instability on other woods, and secondly, Maple needs a hard finish, while most other woods should be left raw.

How do you feel about Canary wood? It looks similar to Maple, from a distance, and is tonally similar to Maple. A Rosewood/Canary neck should be stable, and not require any finish.

FWIW, to those naysaying Rosewood, my Rosewood/Ebony neck is the best I have ever played.:spit::hyper:
  13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Just checked the neck builder on their site. Warmoth will do an Indian rosewood neck for a $360 upcharge. And, line6man is correct that the maple fretboard would not be available with that configuration. I don't understand what possible stability issues there would be, but I guess Warmoth has their reasons. Also, maple, IMO, doesn't really need a hard finish, I have a couple if basses with oil finishes on maple fretboards. Again, though, Warmoth must have their reasons.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

My brother has a PRS guitar with solid rosewood neck. He loves the tone (but to me it just sounds like a PRS)... but as you'd expect with rosewood, it makes for a HEAVY instrument.

Rosewood is harder/heavier than maple, so I would expect it to be more stable. As georgestrings and godofthunder said, one reason it isn't done more often is expense... that's probably the biggest reason. Another reason would be weight. With basses especially it could lead to neck dive
  15. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Here is my rosewood neck...It has an ebony fretbord....very deep dark sounding bass mahogany body. the ebony gives it the attack and brightness the maple would if you could use it with it. That neck is so stable I have never adjusted it. it just never moves at all.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  16. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

leo and crew tried pretty much every combination. to be honest i tried a home made version but i did not notice anything special
  17. line6man

line6man

Stability issues aside, Maple fretboards get grimey very fast if you leave them raw, or only give them an oil finish. It's not pretty.