1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Maple neck on MIM P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr L, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Mr L

Mr L

So recently i picked up a 60th ann MIM P, fantastic bass for a fantastic price (got it for $250).

Problem is it has a rosewood fretboard and i am 100% a maple kind of guy.

Would it be easier for me to just sell the bass and buy one with a maple neck, or buy a maple neck and replace it?

Never having done a neck swap before would it be difficult? How much do maple necks go for on the street? Would a MIA neck fit on my MIM body?

Thanks!
  2. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

I would probably sell it or trade it. Depending on the condition you could get a good deal. Just look around for second hand stuff.

As for necks fitting. Most fender neck pockets are alike. Most as in 90%. You could mix jazz necks and P necks and the heel is the same as standard series (mexicand and american) basses go.
  3. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Gonna cost you the same $250 to get a loaded maple neck!

Mighty mite necks are $100 on eBay unfinished and unloaded.
    Allparts about $160 unloaded and unsprayed. Its a higher quality neck tho. By the time you buy tuners you should be at $250.00.
    MIM has a different size neck pocket than MIA. Make sure you get your measurements right before you buy the wrong neck.