1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Marantz Professional Handheld Solid State Field Recorder PMD661

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by Ukiah Bass, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Marantz Professional Handheld Solid State Field Recorder PMD661

For critical applications like electronic news gathering, sound capture on location and music recording. Provides the audio precision of 24-bit, 96kHz digital recording, with exceptional resolution and file-based storage. Gets five hours of recording from four AA alkalines or powered via included AC adpater. Full support for professional XLR microphones. Records in WAV or MP3 formats. Two XLR inputs with mic/line switchable w/ +48v phantom power. Uses stable, reliable SD or SDHC memory cards. Use the cards to transfer audio files to your PC, or connect the PMD661 with USB 2.0 cable and drag-and-drop the files. Built in stereo mics, stereo playback speakers, headphone monitoring jack, and visual input metering. Includes S/PDIF digital input plus spare 1/8" stereo line in. Rugged portability.

I am the original owner. The PMD661 has been my best friend for field recording of live music. I have recorded all my band performances into the PMD661 using an external Audio-Technia AT825 stereo mic. All videos on these YouTube channels used audio recorded with this configuration, which were processed in a DAW and dropped into the video's audio channel.

Includes PMD661, 8GB SD card, AC power cord, USB cord, carry cord, RCA cord, manual and original box. The PMD661 is in good physical condition. There is a bit of rash on the bottom from mounting it on a camera tripod. In perfect operational condition.
  2. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Oh man... I've been looking at field recorders and this looks perfect. I just don't have the dough right now.
  3. Ukiah Bass

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Yes, this is a good one. Sorry the timing isn't working for you.
  4. Kevin Woods

Kevin Woods Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Was just reading about this.

You can get their $99 pedal for the Remote jack and use it to transcribe from recordings. Pause, Play, Rewind, Record, etc all from the pedal. Also you can 20% speed up and 40% slow down right at the recorder. This thing is packed with features.

This looks great. I have an old Sony handheld recorder this size($500 at the time)...cassette, from 1989. Just stopped working a couple o' years ago:bawl:

Cheers.
  5. Ukiah Bass

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Thanks for that reference, Kevin. The foot pedal looks great. Not sure about the quality of their "free" mics ... frankly, the built-in internal stereo mics do a good job for reference recordings such as rehearsals or practice. I preferred using my Audio Technica AT825 stereo mic for gig recordings as I could mount it on a tripod in front of the band for high-quality sound capture. The cable allowed me to keep the PMD661 next to me on stage for easy manipulation of controls, starting and stopping, etc.

The key idea about the PMD661 is making field recording good quality - and easy. Some are into dragging out computers, interfaces, etc. for multichannel recording. That's OK but a huge pain. With the PMD661, you slap it in front of the band and go. There are always trade offs to consider, but I've always wanted to focus on making music and not being a sound engineer. Too hard to do both well at the same time.
  6. Ukiah Bass

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

I probably should mention my interest in two specific trade items: a Shure SM-57 mic and a heavy-duty mic stand that can securely hold a heavy condenser mic about 7 feet above ground. That's it - nothing else. If you're interested, perhaps we can work out a trade+cash deal.
  7. Ukiah Bass

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Sold on Craig's List.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.