1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Marbass 104HF -vs- 104HR -vs- GK Neo 410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jimmeyer176, Jan 9, 2014.

1. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

I play in a loud punk rock-n-roll band, I currently use a Eden 410XLT (98lbs) and love it but now have disc issues in my back so need to go lighter for the next tour.

I want volume and low end more than anything, but don't mind some decent punch in the mids...I play fast, with my fingers and use a Fender Jazz bass with passive pickups. I generally turn the treble and high end down and don't use horns. I use a GK MB500 head, I plan to run at 4ohms (500 watts).

Most of all I'm concerned with volume, I'm up against 2 guitars, one goes through a 412, the other through a 410...both use 50 watt heads. On the last tour I ran my GK at about 1-2 o'çlock gain most nights, I won't always have PA support. We are fairly loud. Small clubs/bars mostly but the odd decent sized room.

104HF - in my mind the best option, close to the Eden but 65lbs, front dual ports, I'm thinking this will be loudest and best bottom end but some people say port locations are irrelevant.

104HR - 10 lbs lighter, rear ported, probably less volume (?) and less low end, main benefit will be the weight?

GK Neo 410 - 68lbs, comes with casters, I use a GK MB500 and it will probably go well together, front single bottom port. Plus the cheapest.

I tour alot but don't know gear that well...please give me some feedback and or advice, thanks in advance.

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The NEO410 only comes in 8 ohm unless they allow special order. Seriously the G-K NEO412! Sure its about 93 lbs but nice towel bar and tilt back casters. I have the series one that is 118 lbs and it is an easy load in/load out, 4 ohms LOUD, deep if you want, punchy, very articulate and projects amazingly well out front. I have severe back trouble and I can handle it. Can't handle my lighter (50 lb) 212 by myself.

3. gguillo

gguillo

I have a 104HF, a 151HR, and a Markbass NY122 (for my smaller club shows), a Little Mark tube 800, and a Little Mark II (for the NY122). I love Markbass products! They're super light and pack a serious punch!

I usually play the 104HF stacked on the 151HR pushed by the LM tube 800. The 104HF is a 4ohm cab, and the 151HR is an 8ohm cab (yes, technically I know I should be using 2 8ohm cabs), but I like to use the 104HF by itself for medium sized venues and get the full 800 watts to the cab! I'm just running the amp a little hotter using both cabs... which means I'll probably have to replace the tube more often.

Since I play the 104HF by itself often, I can tell you the sound is HUGE. I notice you will be running a GK MB500 head at 4ohms. I think that will give plenty of wattage and punch, and you'll have no problem being heard.

As far as 104HF vs. 104HR, it is said by audio experts that there is NO difference. It is just a preference to the user. Rear ported cabs can usually be made more compact since the port is located on the back. Some bass players like portability of the rear port, and some (like me) like to feel the air out of a front ported cab.

I played Ampeg forever before switching to Markbass (like you, the weight was taking a toll on my back). I used to play 810e cabs, SVT 410 cabs, and SVT Pro heads. Markbass products can definitely hold their own.

4. B-string

That little non-field serviceable preamp tube is no where near the output section of the amp so how you load the LM Tube won't affect the tubes lifespan.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

I was told (by Guitar Center) the GK Neo 410 was in stock in 4ohm...are you sure it only comes in 8? The GK site days 4 & 8 ohm, etc...

7. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

Little help...anyone? : )

8. B-string

If GC really ordered and has some 4 ohm NEO410's in stock, go for it. Seriously :)

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The official GK website says 4 or 8 ohm for the 410 NEO, I concur.

You didn't mention price but I'm assuming the MB's are coming in at at least 200 bucks more, probably more. The GK NEO series are great cabs for the money so I would lean in that direction.

Did you consider a pair of GK 212 NEOS? Easy to shlep, tons of sound stacked and plenty enough using one for most gigs.

10. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

I used to have a Neo 212, and wanted another one...but ended up getting rid of it. The issue is that I live in Australia, where I have a rig, and I tour in the US as well, so have a rig there. So picking up an 'additional' 2 cabs gets expensive, especially considering all my existing tour costs. I can live with one new cab, and my back issues has forced the issue.

I'm now leaning towards the 104HR...only 56lbs, and still ported (rear), can't get much lighter than that and I found a couple used.

Yes the MB cabs are about 2 bills more.

11. B-string

From the MarkBass cabs I have played, you best play through one first. Personally I was not all that impressed and sure would not pay more to save 12 lbs? YMMV

12. Mortom27

Mortom27

+1 on the Neo 410 4ohms

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

:eek: My rig including bass, cab, head and pedalboard weighs less than that, and that is assuming I take my 80 pound fEARful, if I take my 50 pound 310 it is a whole new story, I can carry that whole rig in one trip.

I clearly have been spoiled by neo...

Back to your question OP, I would highly recommend renting a MarkBass cabinet if you are not immediately sold on the tone, try it with your band. MarkBass cabs have a distinct low mid bump that cannot be ignored, it does help cut the mix though. I have owned a couple MarkBass cabinets, but I recommend their heads over their cabs, their heads are actually flat, their cabs are not for everybody.

14. B-string

Last time any of the guys complained about the NEO412, I had them load the 150 or so lb Acoustic 215 with the Altecs, they stopped complaining about the NEO ;)

15. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

IMO, the GK 410 NEO is not a good buy. I have been "forced" to use this model some times as proveded backline and... Yuk.
    It does not have a lot of lows, it has boxy, honky mids and does not go very loud, even with a decent amp behind it (RB 1001).
    I normally play the newer series Ampeg SVT-410HLF or two EBS ProLine 210 upgraded with Deltalite II 2510s. Both those cabs (although very different from each other) are MUCH better for any kind of music I play (mainstream rock, blues, some funk and pop).

16. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

Thanks mate but the issue here is not 'preference'...it's weight. My preference is to use my Eden 410XLT and kick ass every night, but I can't risk humping a 98lb cabinet with my current back issues, even with help. Going to a Neo 410 saves 30lbs, going to the Markbass can save even more.

I'm not looking for a great cabinet, I'm looking for a decent, loud, lightweight cabinet that get compete with 2 guitars.

17. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

OK, if you are coming from an Eden 410XLT, I definitely think the GK NEO 410 will disappoint!

Why not get a pair of EDEN 210s instead. Keep the tone you like and split the weight.

Or as I said, the Deltalite II 2510 keep getting good reviews. A cab loaded with those gives high sensitivity, nice and even tone as well as capacity to get quite loud.

18. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

Eden 210XLT's are nearly 70lbs (each), it would make more sense to deal with the 98lbs once than 70lbs twice IMO

19. Flowdopin

Flowdopin

If you like the Eden tone, why not go for the EX410? 65lbs. I don't have any experience with their newer product line and it's reliability, but I'm sure they still have the tone you really want.

Also, as stated, replacing your ceramics for the Deltalites would be a great option as well.

20. Flowdopin

Flowdopin

If you like the Eden tone, why not go for the EX410? 65lbs. I don't have any experience with their newer product line and it's reliability, but I'm sure they still have the tone you really want.

Also, as stated, replacing your ceramics for the Deltalites would be a great option as well.