Marcus Miller does Paul Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RRvZA2URBUI

This is from the Headhunters tour of 2005. Marcus Miller does a good job getting Paul Jackson's feel, IMO. I saw him on the same your in 2005, but he was playing a 1951 reissue P-bass, the P-bass let him do an even better job of getting Paul Jackson's sound.

2. Dr. Cheese

Bump for a cool clip that also features the great Wah Wah Watson (Melvin Ragin.)

3. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

Marcus did a great job emulating Paul's feel - like you said Cheese, the P-Bass would make it even closer. Very nice stuff here.....

J

4. esa372

esa372

Very cool - thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Huh... I gotta disagree: Marcus (and Terri Lynn) seem waaayy more on top of the beat than Paul Jackson & Headhunters ever did. Their groove has an edgy nervousness to it, which contrasts with the more laid-back, greasy pocket that the original recording had.

It's still a badass performance, not denying that. Just doesn't feel as compelling to me as the original.

7. Dr. Cheese

I guess I need to listen to the original. I don't remember Hang Up Your Hang Ups having a laid back, behind the beat feel.

8. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

Firstly - Marcus and Terri Lynn are pretty f'n funky in that clip. That being said, I have to agree that this doesn't quite cop the vibe of the original:

Man alive... that is SUPREMELY funky.

9. Dr. Cheese

Brad Johnson always says that Paul Jackson and Rocco Prestia both have a feel that no one else really captures. It always trips me out that PJ and Rocco were once roommates. Paul Jackson and Mike Clark were once roommates too. PJ said that the two spent a lot of time smoking dope and eating barbecue. The two even did a commercial for barbecue shop.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

ill eat my shoe if thats mike clark on hang up your hangups. he doesnt play backbeat like that. thats gotta be harvey mason or james gadson. the way mike plays it on flood (typical mike clark groove) makes it not as funky imo.

11. cnltb

cnltb

Are there any clips of him playingthat p ?

12. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

On a Sting sig P Bass I believe:

J

13. cnltb

cnltb

14. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, La Bella Strings, Epifani, JuleAmps
    great playing but DEF nowhere close to the PJ/Mike Clark feel. Like somebody said earlier, feels too fast, way on top of the beat, and a little nervous to me as well. Marcus is the man, but I think PJ would have def killed it on this one. Strange that he doesn't play with Herbie when he's in Japan....

15. Dr. Cheese

The show I saw was the first of the 2005 tour. Marcus Miller actually picked up that P-bass at the GC in Bridgeton, MO (North St. Louis County.) One the managers at GC told me that Marcus said Herbie Hancock was not happy with the sound of his Jazz and told him to get a Precision. Marcus still used his Jazz on Chameleon and a few other songs. The kicker was John Mayer was part of the band at that point. I guess he wanted to show off his Berklee chops although he did sing at least one song.