1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Marcus Miller J pups substitutes for 6 string bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Dec 24, 2013.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

My Squire DAJV has, in my opinion, a sound that for the money is remarkably close to the Marcus Miller sound (using Fatbeams) except that it's a bit lean, buzzy, & penetrating. Before tearing the electronics apart I'm gonna try EQing. If that doesn't work I will be shopping for new pickups. I have Carvin J99a's in my Ibanez. On this website people only complain about J99a's lack of punch & growl, so I'm not going to even consider them.

I've addressed this issue before, but I am really narrowing the sonic qualifications to those prominent on the Marcus Miller bass, punch & growl. I 'd try to get a 5 string MM set of J pups directly from Fender if they would work for a bridge spacing of 2 15/16" (6 strings.)

Lot's of pickup makers don't (Seymour Duncan. Hanson, etc.) don't believe in 6 strings & discourage my inquiries.