1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Marcus Miller J pups substitutes for 6 string bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Dec 24, 2013.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

My Squire DAJV has, in my opinion, a sound that for the money is remarkably close to the Marcus Miller sound (using Fatbeams) except that it's a bit lean, buzzy, & penetrating. Before tearing the electronics apart I'm gonna try EQing. If that doesn't work I will be shopping for new pickups. I have Carvin J99a's in my Ibanez. On this website people only complain about J99a's lack of punch & growl, so I'm not going to even consider them.

I've addressed this issue before, but I am really narrowing the sonic qualifications to those prominent on the Marcus Miller bass, punch & growl. I 'd try to get a 5 string MM set of J pups directly from Fender if they would work for a bridge spacing of 2 15/16" (6 strings.)

Lot's of pickup makers don't (Seymour Duncan. Hanson, etc.) don't believe in 6 strings & discourage my inquiries.